Gelato won't eat! Green stuff!

PrincessLaundry

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2015
I need more ideas! Our baby won't eat and her poo is green. I'm trying eggs mashed in water with a dropper. She keeps falling asleep and won't eat. Help please.

Have you got some Poultry Nutri--drench? First chance you get, pick some up at the feed store. That's crucial. It has a formula that gets nutrients directly into the chick's bloodstream.

Do you have tofu? I've had high success getting sick chicks to eat by crumbling up tofu with the Nutri-drench sprinkled over the top. You can also try moistening the chick crumbles with warm sugar water. You can also try minced boiled egg, both white and yolk since both have valuable nutrition. Try first the white and then later the yolk.

Above all else, make sure the chick is getting water. Dribble some sugar water with your finger aside its beak.

I need more ideas! Our baby won't eat and her poo is green. I'm trying eggs mashed in water with a dropper. She keeps falling asleep and won't eat. Help please.
Another BYC's question lead me to this article today. one of the best I have seen on the subject.
Great article by someone who understands the concept.
http://www.avitec.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/why%20lacto%20is%20important%20-%20cheryl%20lake.pdf
notice esp./ how the poop cannot be correct without correct intestinal flora. Best established by use of a quality probiotic.
Best,
Karen

How is our tiny Gelato this morning?

As Karen points out, intestinal flora is super crucial. The Nutri-drench can get this chick kick started. You might also try mixing a little keifer or yogurt with the moistened crumbles.

What I do is ferment my chickens' feed and they are constantly receiving these good bacteria in their daily ration. I haven't ever seen such healthy chickens since I've been doing this.

I urge you to ferment some feed for Gelato. It's easy to do, just soak the crumbles in warm water with a little dash of ACV to get it fermenting fast. Just do a cup of feed to about a cup of water, stir, keep in a warm place, stirring twice a day. Feed at 48 hours or as soon as you smell the sour dough smell. Add more water if the mixture is too thick.

Gelato never pulled out of her funk unfortunately. We lost her this morning. Thankfully we have made several friends with chickens and a wonderful lady who works at a vets office came over to try and help our girl out. I think the stress of her trip just did her in... No chick should be stuck in a random spot for two days in the cold.

Anyway! We did also receive help finding some new babies today! There was a lone brooder chick we were given and found 9 more babies. We are so excited! Now to wait and count the Roos!
1f602.png
:(

I've been checking back here all day for a report on Gelato. I am so sad she didn't make it, but she had the odds seriously stacked against her.

That the story does have a happy ending with all these new babies is a consolation we'll all gladly take! Condolences and congratulations!

Awww... Thank you for thinking of us! We are sad for our girl but now with our new flock we are seeing how slow she was already. She would have been trampled if we had brought in new chickens over her. But our new flock is awesome! We are so excited to have a healthy new group to enjoy! My daughter is absolutely thrilled for her new babies!

Back
Top Bottom