1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender?? All at four weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zaapoole, May 30, 2016.

1. zaapoole

zaapoole Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2016
    They are Appenzellers silver and gold and two Welsummers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then the second welsummer:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

My instincts suspect that the Welsummers are pullets, but as to the Spitz, I would have to see pictures of their "pimples." Those are the two little points that make up their comb.

~Alex

3. zaapoole

May 30, 2016
    Thanks very much! Unfortunately I think I already have one rooster so I'm hoping the appenzellers are both pullets
    I tried to get a better image but sorry f not [VIDEO][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/VIDEO][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I think you may have 2 boy Welsummers, I've added pictures for comparison.
    First row is a female chick, 3 weeks
    Second row is a male chick, 3 weeks
    Third row is male/female together as of today at 8 weeks

Here's a little girl Welsummer at 3 weeks- notice the neck feathers are salmon colored and she's got a really clear "mask" over the eye.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a little boy Welsummer, also 3 weeks old- note the red/black chest feathers and the very faint "mask" around the eyes... but red/black feathers are the determinant factor as I understand it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And here they are today, a little over 8 weeks
    Pullet is on top, roo is on bottom

[​IMG]

Individual close-ups:
    1st: Pullet- she still has those salmon colored neck/chest feathers, 2nd: Cockerel: Much redder, comb, wattles red
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Welsummers are definitely female. No black on the chest at all. The Appenzellers need a few more weeks.

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm on the fence about the Welsummers, but I'm leaning towards cockerels on both... first has pink wattles starting and at 4 weeks that's a bit early for a pullet... second has very dark red chest feathers, and I've seen many hatchery Welsummer cockerels just have dark red instead of black chests...

The Appenzwllers I have no clue about...

7. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Any updated photos?

8. zaapoole

May 30, 2016
    Thanks for the replies this is an update at just under six weeks. I think the appenzellers are cockerels - I will put pictures of the silver just to confirm but the gold one started trying to crow this morning so that's a definite!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The first welsummer has more of a brown chest whereas the second one has a salmon coloured chest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

The first Welsummer looks like a cockerel as far as color goes, but yet the comb isn't developed and pink yet. [​IMG] I'm not an expert, so I don't really know what to think. The Spitz is definitely a cockerel, and a very handsome one! [​IMG] My girls' wattles are still flat and faintly pink at about 13 weeks.

~Alex

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  10. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I love the Spitz' eyes! So big and expressive!

Still leaning towards boy on the first Welsummer too, though one of our pullets *did* have more of a reddish chest and a darker body all around at this age, so it's not impossible, just neither of our girls had that level of comb or wattle development that early ...-- the other one seems to have pullet coloring despite the comb and wattle development.

Maybe we've just got radically different lines of Welsummers.

Here's our reddish, darker Welsummer pullet at 6 weeks (left) next to our Welsummer cockerel at 6 weeks (right)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by