Gender and Breed confirmation please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissD'uccle, Jun 28, 2011.

1. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Ok guys I have (what I believe) is a young roo. I think the mom is a BLRW and the dad is a Frizzle EE. I only have one frizzle EE that shows the frizzle gene, but two carriers (hens). I have both hens and a roo of the BLRW variety. Let me know what you guys think.

Maybe dad in the foreground? IF one of my carrier EE hens frizzle gene is coming through? Not sure exactly how the Frizzle gene works (if you have to have 2 copies to show, or what).
    [​IMG]

Close Up
    [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Goodness, that thing is adorable! I would lean towards roo on that one, but hard to tell with the frizzles. For the most part chickens don't carry the frizzle gene - it's a dominant gene and only one copy is needed for it to be expressed. 2 copies is actually a bad thing - gives you a "frazzle" - and they tend not to thrive and have feathering and metabolic problems.

3. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Love him! And maybe dad is gorgeous! [​IMG]

4. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    OMG he is gorgeous!!!! Breed him and send me some eggs! lol jk jk jk jk.......Unless...You want to [​IMG] jk

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Given the intensity of the red over the shoulders and I think I'm seeing pointy saddle feathers too, I would say it's a roo. I would also guess that he is BLRW/EE cross with the mom being BLRW and the dad the frizzle EE.

6. MissD'uccle

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Quote:I do plan in keeping him and breeding him to my BLRW girls... Trying to establish a good frizzle with BLR coloring! Id be happy to send some eggs when he is of age. You can help me experiment! LOL

7. MissD'uccle

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Quote:Thank you! And the maybe dad is one of my favorites too! Definately the best personality ive ever had in a LF roo!

8. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    MissD'uccle :

Quote:I do plan in keeping him and breeding him to my BLRW girls... Trying to establish a good frizzle with BLR coloring! Id be happy to send some eggs when he is of age. You can help me experiment! LOL

LOL And I'd be happy to hatch them and raise them and tell you how it goes [​IMG]

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    MissD'uccle :

Ooohhh, me next!! [​IMG]

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I think you're right on the money with your guesses! He's a beauty, but is not carrying the frizzle gene. His parents are pretty too!

Good luck with your breeding program!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by