1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender and Breed help.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HomesteadnMama, May 29, 2016.

1. HomesteadnMama

HomesteadnMama Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Ontario
    Hello I was given these four pullets. Im now thinking one is a cockerel. I believe the two black ones are Ameraucanas and pullets, the beige one a Bantham? Pullet and the larger brown one I'm not sure at all. I would really appreciate any input anyone can offer. Thank you in advance. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I agree that you have one cockerel, and they all appear to be easter eggers.

3. HomesteadnMama

May 23, 2016
    Ontario
    Thank you. I really wasn't sure and the people that gave them to me weren't exactly sure of the breeds

4. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    The black ones could be Australorps. (pullets)

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Per the pictures they have muffs and pea combs, so they actually couldn't be :)

6. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    x2

7. HomesteadnMama

May 23, 2016
    Ontario
    He is definitely a cockerel he started crowing this morning. Now to figure out where I go from here.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Agreed!

Australorps are single combed and have wattles -- these birds are pea combed and have bearding/muffs -- when identifying breeds it's important to consider all characteristics.

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

I agree with the rest...all are EE, one cockerel & three pullets. Can you not keep roosters where you are?

1 person likes this.
  10. HomesteadnMama

May 23, 2016
    Ontario
    I could definitely keep him, we living out in the country. My concern is I am very new and originally only wanted four pullets to start ( for my comfort) I purchased a 4x6 Quaker Style Coop and built a 16x16 run. My understanding is that there should be a ratio of 1 Cockerel for 8 Pullets. I don't believe my coop would house another 5 pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by