Gender and breed identification needed please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeremiah.Chua, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Jeremiah.Chua

Jeremiah.Chua Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Okay, so when I first bought my 3 chickens, they were only a week old (born on may 1st).
    2 were for sure to be female and then there was a 3rd "mystery" chicken. They weren't sure what kind of chick it was in terms of breed, nor did they know the gender. I got it at a pet shop that mainly sold fish-related things, with a few hamsters and reptiles here and there. Chicks were seasonal, blah blah blah.

Long story short, fast forward 3 months and now I have this unknown chicken still. It's the same age as the other chickens but it is noticeably much more slender and it does this half-arsed crowing sound, as if it's choking on something. So now I'm thinking, okay, maybe it's a roo... but aside from the slightly more slender feature, its other physical characteristics point towards female for me.

I've done a little research and I THINK it's a Sicilian Buttercup. The pet store did tell me it's a "rarer" breed of chicken, they just aren't sure which one. And the coloration does resemble a Sicilian buttercup hen, but why the C-C-C-R-A-A-W-W-W-K-K-K sound of crowing? I've listened to hens that do their egg call and it certainly doesn't sound like that. Doesn't sound like a full rooster crow either, they're only 3 months after all.

And if it is a Sicilian, it hasn't shown its beautiful comb it's known for (yet). I see bumps possibly forming though, but it could go either way, as you can see in the pic. As in, the bumps may just be small bumps rather than a comb forming. How old do Sicilians get a fully grown out comb?
    If it isn't a Sicilian, then what is it? Also, gender? I don't know how to vent sex, I've tried it. They all look the same to me...

Here's an image of them when they were young. The one to the far right is the "mystery chick"
    [​IMG]

Jump 3 months and here's what s/he looks like now. Forgive the dark setting, bad angle and getting a shot of the chicken was difficult since they don't like being held.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    If it's 3 months, it is probably a rooster. Although, I did once have a BB red game hen that attempted to crow like a rooster every morning after getting off her tree roost. Id still say it is a roo. Don't know what breed though. It is very pretty.

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Possibly a Dutch. Still little young to tell if he/she, but I'm leaning towards a pullet.

4. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I have wyandottes and that looks to me like a rose comb! I don't know what that would make it as far as breed, but it's comb looks just like the ones on my young wyandottes.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    If it didn't have a rose comb, I'd say it was a golden campine [​IMG]

6. Jeremiah.Chua

May 31, 2010
    I'm left even more confused now. Haha...
    When do spurs come in? The most important part is probably the gender, since roosters are not allowed in San Jose, CA.

7. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    He is Golden Penciled Hamburg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Golden penciled Hamburg! They are great chickens, but a little flighty. You'll need to clip his wings.

9. Jeremiah.Chua

May 31, 2010
    Ah, that one looks about right. You guys think it's a roo then?

10. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I agree with the Hamburg and the needing to clip the wings, they are very flighty! And, yes I think a roo as well if it is only 3 months and has a comb and wattles like that. My hen is over a year old and hers aren't that big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by