Gender and Breed of Latest Arrival

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Miss Sue, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Miss Sue

Miss Sue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    Connecticut
    Here is a photo of the latest addition to our little flock, a stray that a neighbor found in his garage. I'm guessing that she is a young Brahma hen. What do the rest of you think? She's much smaller than our 6 month old Blue Orpingtons.

Susan

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She looks like a Buff Brahma. I have one named Caroline. Can't tell if she's a cross without a full body picture, but she's very pretty! With both of us also having Blue Orps, our flocks are looking very much alike now, LOL!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Miss Sue

Jul 19, 2007
    Connecticut
    Cynthia, wow, your hen is beautiful. I hope ours, Brownie, looks like that! I will try to get a full-body shot of her on the ground in the next couple of days. We've been holding her when she's out of her pen so that she doesn't dash off. She's also missing some feathers; no doubt she has a story to tell. So far I keep her separate from the other two since she's brand new.

Thank you.

Susan

4. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    Does she have feathers on her legs?

If not, are her legs olive colored? Since she lacks much in the form of wattles, she might be an Easter Egger.

5. Miss Sue

Jul 19, 2007
    Connecticut
    She does not have feathers on her legs, and her legs are kind of a olive/mustard color. Do you think she may be an Easter Egger? Do the two breeds look alike? When I get another photo, I'll post.

Susan

6. Miss Sue

Jul 19, 2007
    Connecticut
    We found the chicken's rightful owners, who turn out to be some other neighbors. They said this little hen, who is a Golden Laced Wyandotte, must have flown over their fence. She's a sweet little bird, and we enjoyed her weeklong stay with us!

Susan

7. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Upon first glance I thought EE, as they don't always have a muff/beard. If she has clean, greenish legs, you probably have an EE. She is pretty!

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thats good but she is not a Golden Laced Wyndotte.

9. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i'm always so jealous of everyone's purdy chickens!
    that blue 'un is especially lovely!

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    She's pretty!!! I am constantly amazed at the number of "stray" chicken finds posted on this board!!!! I guess when you live in a neighborhood that kind of odd thing would never happen but it seems someone on here "finds" a chicken at least once a week,!! Another benefit of living in the country I guess..... sigh...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by