Gender and Breed please?

dvrich89

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2016
I got these chickens earlier today. The guy did not know how old they were but said they were pullets. Now that I've gotten them home and gotten a better look at them I'm wondering if they might be roosters. What do you all think? Can you tell how old or what breed also? Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Welcome!

the first bird is a mixed breed hen. From the looks of things, she's molting pretty good. That puts her age at probably 18ish months. That's the first hard molt like this. Honestly, she could be older as they molt like this each year after that. But, she doesn't have the thicker look a lot of more mature hens get, so I'm thinking she's a hatch from spring 15.

the second bird is a mixed breed or EE cockerel. Youngish, I'm thinking 5-6 months or so. If you paid for pullets, take that one right back for a refund. No eggs from him ever, no matter how pretty he is.

The first one definitely looks female, but she looks like she's molting. Definitely not a pullet, probably an older hen who's production has dropped. Chickens don't molt seasonally until they're over a year old. Usually around 18 months of age the first time. Not sure on breed. The second is definitely an EE cockerel or rooster. Sorry!

The first one definitely looks female, but she looks like she's molting. Definitely not a pullet, probably an older hen who's production has dropped. Chickens don't molt seasonally until they're over a year old. Usually around 18 months of age the first time. Not sure on breed. The second is definitely an EE cockerel or rooster. Sorry!

Production dropped? Meaning she's not producing as many eggs? Around what age does that usually happen? Sorry I'm new to this and trying to learn as much as possible!

Also how can you tell she's molting?

Last edited:
I have no way to know for certain that she's not producing as well, but I would be very suspicious that was the case given the circumstances. If he sold you a cockerel and a molting hen as pullets, he probably knew what he was doing. Sadly there are unscrupulous people out there who will take advantage of people with less experience when they want to offload unwanted birds. It is common for egg production to drop some after the first molt. Especially if they are kept on lights through the winter to keep them laying. The older the hen, the less they lay until they stop completely. I'd be willing to bet she's at least 2, and probably not producing well. That's likely why he sold her. That doesn't mean she won't produce at all, you'll just have to wait and see to be sure. Since she's molting she won't lay until she's done, and likely not again until spring unless you use supplemental light in your coop.
Production dropped? Meaning she's not producing as many eggs? Around what age does that usually happen? Sorry I'm new to this and trying to learn as much as possible!

Sorry, I just noticed your last question. You can tell she's molting by how scraggly she looks. She missing quite a few feathers, especially around her tail and hackles. That coupled with the time of year says molt. Either that or she's got something else going on, but molt is most likely. Have you checked them for parasites yet?

Back
Top Bottom