Gender (and breed would be nice) help on these 7 chicks please?

mamakelly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
It was so easy to sex the last chickens we had. This bunch I'm having trouble with. They all sort of pick on each other but 1, which made me think I had all roosters and only one hen. But they are 5 weeks and 1 day now, and by looks, I'm thinking I only have a few roosters .

I have 7 chicks total. 3 are supposed to be Blue Amerucana's and hatched out of dark blue green colored eggs. The others were a "ranch special" and were all tan/brown but one was very light blue green. We think they grey ones are the Amerucana's, it was hard to keep track of who came out of which egg. But I only have 2 grey pullets, and I had 3 Amerucana eggs, LOL!

#1 Hen

#2 Rooster?

#3 Hen?

#4 Hen?

#5 Rooster?

#6 Hen?

#7 Hen?

Any help is appreciated!

It was so easy to sex the last chickens we had. This bunch I'm having trouble with. They all sort of pick on each other but 1, which made me think I had all roosters and only one hen. But they are 5 weeks and 1 day now, and by looks, I'm thinking I only have a few roosters .

I have 7 chicks total. 3 are supposed to be Blue Amerucana's and hatched out of dark blue green colored eggs. The others were a "ranch special" and were all tan/brown but one was very light blue green. We think they grey ones are the Amerucana's, it was hard to keep track of who came out of which egg. But I only have 2 grey pullets, and I had 3 Amerucana eggs, LOL!

#1 Hen
Looks like an Ameraucana.

#2 Rooster?
Looks to be a black cochin or some other feather footed breed. I would say this one's a cockerel.

#3 Hen?
Looks to be an Ameraucana or perhaps an Easter Egger pullet.

#4 Hen?
Frizzle pullet

#5 Rooster?
Frizzle. Possibly a cockerel.

#6 Hen?
Blue Ameraucana pullet. Pretty little gal.

#7 Hen?
Blue Ameraucana pullet.

Any help is appreciated!
I'm better with gender than breed.

1. possibly a black Ameraucana, leaning toward pullet but need a better picture
2. Black Cochin cockerel
3. Easter Egger pullet
4. Frizzle pullet
5. Frizzle cockerel
6. Easter Egger pullet (she doesn't have beard or muffs)
7. Blue Ameraucana pullet

I'm kind of suspicious of the "Ameraucana"s coming from a blue-green egg, they're supposed to only lay blue eggs. So, that tells me those birds were probably mixed, some type of Easter egger. Not being able to see combs also makes breed selection difficult.

I do agree with your gender guesses.

I think the first bird and the last two are your Ameraucanas. When you breed blue, you also get a percentage of black and splash birds, depending on the genetics used.
Second bird is possibly cochin, possibly marans if the breeder was making olive eggers.
3 could be an EE, could just be a mixed breed pullet. You'll know when she lays!
4&5 are frizzled somethings. I have a hard time seeing the breed under the frizzle, so hard to say. Cochins seem to be one of the most popular birds to frizzle.

I'm kind of suspicious of the "Ameraucana"s coming from a blue-green egg, they're supposed to only lay blue eggs. So, that tells me those birds were probably mixed, some type of Easter egger. Not being able to see combs also makes breed selection difficult.
O, I didn't see that, thats what I get for skimming. I would just call them all easter eggers just to make things simple, but then again thats just me.

This is my only picture of the eggs before hatch. The "Blue Amerucana's" were supposed to be the 3 eggs in the top of the photo. They look really green in the picture, they really were more of a blue green. Hrmmm maybe an EE, instead of a BA? I guess that's okay, we just wanted funky colored eggs, LOL!

This is my only picture of the eggs before hatch. The "Blue Amerucana's" were supposed to be the 3 eggs in the top of the photo. They look really green in the picture, they really were more of a blue green. Hrmmm maybe an EE, instead of a BA? I guess that's okay, we just wanted funky colored eggs, LOL!

I guess if those aren't 100% blue eggs then you have Easter Eggers.

Hi all, can i get a call on breed and confirmation of my fear that Cap'n blackfeather in the foreground is a gonna be a rooster... he is sooo gorgeous! And lovely! But we live in the burbs so can't have crowing
2017-07-15 13.18.17.jpg
IMG_20170715_131427.jpg
IMG_20170715_131733.jpg

Back
Top Bottom