1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender and breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EddieLee, Dec 6, 2012.

1. EddieLee

EddieLee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel fairly certain this is a too, but the lack of comb throws me off . I also have no idea about the breed. A mix, but of what? Blue legs. Everything else white. Feathered legs. No comb or wattle. Absolutely will not let you touch him.

Thanks for helping this rookie out

2. chickenluver100

chickenluver100 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi!
    I think that he is a rooster. He's a very pretty little guy! [​IMG] I'm not sure of the breed though... Because of the rosecomb I was thinking maybe araucana, but i'm not sure.

3. EddieLee

Jun 10, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    yeah, I just found a bunch of pictures of plain white Ameraucana's that look exactly like this one. Only they were hens. Do roosters of any breed have such little comb and no wattle? He has sounded the alarm in the morning. Is there any such a thing as crowing hens?

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats is a lovely white EE (probably ee and d'uccle mix it appears) cockerel

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the hackles alone tell you that it's a cockerel (they are long slender and pointed) his saddles should look the same and he has the 2 sickle freathers that cockerels get

6. EddieLee

Jun 10, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks a million. I knew the feather coloring could be an obvious indicator, but with an all-white chicken, didn't exactly know which way to go with it. And thanks for the tip about the possible cross breed. Love the help we get on this site.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When a bird has a comb that's not the classic straight comb it's easier for a newbie to get confused. That comb shows a mixed heritage, probably rose and pea combs. I'd call him an easter egger, he'll probably pass blue or green egg genes on to his offspring if you're so inclined to breed him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by