Gender and breed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by korlia, Jan 26, 2014.

1. korlia

korlia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Ok guys some help pleeeeaase!!

I know it is still very early but this is our first ever chick! He/she will be 4 weeks old on the 28th. We got fertilized eggs from a breeder, all different kinds, but small. I asked for eggs for our pekin bantam to hatch. So I suspect kinds of bantam?

Any guesses on breed and gender? The comb is a bit pinkish so we are thinking boy?

I know the pics arent very clear but he/she rarely sits still!![​IMG]

2. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Looks like a Cochin or Pekin

3. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    [​IMG]

4. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Thx, thats what Im also thinking. Is it too early to take a guess on the gender? What do you think?

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I would actually guess cockerel, since he's showing that much red in the comb at only 4 weeks.

FYI though, there is an entire forum dedicated to determining gender and breed. You can reach it by clicking here.

6. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I'm going to say pullet. Because when I went to tractor supply last march, they had a bin of straight run barred rocks. Well, I took my chances and got three. As they grew to their "teenage" stage, they looked exactly like cockerels. Their comb and wattles as big and red as ever. I was devastated. They even started to grow sickle feathers! Well, I waited and waited for the crow and they all three layed eggs. So, you still have hope.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  7. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Oop
    I would actually guess cockerel, since he's showing that much red in the comb at only 4 weeks.

FYI though, there is an entire forum dedicated to determining gender and breed. You can reach it by clicking here.
    [/quote
    Oops - sorry. New to BYC. Will repost there!!

8. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Thanks!!! I will then keep fingers crossed until "he" lays an egg or "she" starts crowing....

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yup, its a Cochin. I think its a pullet. My boys always had obvious combs and little wattle to go along with them. Either way, you'll know in a week or 2. Its a cutie!

10. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Thanks!!
    We will keep fingers crossed then. Even if it is a boy we will keep him! Hopefully the neighbours won't complain ( we are actually not allowed to keep chickens in town)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by