Gender and breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Soot the silkie, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I know it's probably to young to tell, but I would like to know the breed and gender of my two week old chick. He was sold to me as a frizzle OE but I don't think he is. He might be a cream legbar mix, because that is another breed that was at the feed store. I think he's a rooster because he's aggressive and bold, but can anyone see any physical signs to conform my suspicion? He does more wattle and comb development than my other chicks.
    [​IMG]Feathered feet.

[​IMG] Has a puff on his head like a cream legbar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'll be posting more pictures of him as he gets more feathers.

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Olive eggers are a mix between a blue egg layer (like a legbar) and a brown egg layer(like a maran) so it could be either of the two options you propose. Nothing is screaming roo at this point.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess is that he is an Olive Egger (not frizzled). The color pattern and feathered legs are typical of Marans, which are often used in the Olive Egger cross.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

5. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Thank you, I didn't know that! I thought olive eggers were their own breed. But then again, I know just about nothing about breeds and the breeding of chickens. I just thought he wasn't a frizzle OE because my other one has partridge coloring, so (stupid me,) I thought that all OE's had lighter coloring (no logic in that right? I told you I know nothing about breeds.) You are permitted to laugh (very hard) about my ignorance.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Here are more pictures with him in comparison to one I think is a girl.[​IMG] The girl is the top one and the roo is the bottom one.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Your picture won't enlarge for me, so I can't really use it for additional info.

I agree with the other posters...likely CCL x Marans...nothing is screaming roo at this point, and Marans typically show early in comb growth.

Just because there is a head dot doesn't mean it is male...it just means it is barred. Sometimes barring is linked to sex, but if the father was the barred parent ALL birds of that mating will be barred both male and female.

The other bird may have come from a different mating....with non-barred parents or the mother barred/dad non-barred which does produce sex linked barring.

Right now, in the tiny photo, nothing is screaming roo....but we'd need better close ups.

Lofmc

8. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I didn't really think it was because of the head spot that it was roo, it was because of the size. And I tried to get better pictures but it's hard to get them to stand still for the picture... especially when you are using a laptop to take pictures. I will try and get a better picture as soon as possible.

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Size only means something if you know the parents are the same for the siblings...in the case of OE's, the breeder usually uses several roosters over a number of hens. Thus the chicks may be half siblings at best or completely unrelated, which can create the size difference. If CCL's were used, they are substantially smaller than typical Marans. Then of course there is individual bird size as well.

So size won't mean anything unless they are full blooded siblings...then it *could* mean something...or that you get one very large hen and one smaller hen.

ETA: Just caught you bought these at a feed store...belay all that...they are most likely simply different ages (feed stores get different shipments in all the time) and different breeds...so size is meaningless for determining sex between the two.

LofMc

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  10. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I got them at a feed store, but the feed store had purchased them from a local breeder, so it does apply. It is a good point that it depends on the parents, because I got two barred rocks last year and they are both hens but one is easily a pound lighter than the other. Also; you can't see it in the picture, but the supposed roo's legs are thicker than the female and his spurs are already longer than my hen's spurs. I know that spurs are not a sure sign because hens can get them too, but thick legs are usually a sign it's a rooster.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by