gender anyone?- leghorn and americauna - official results update

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by weeders n feeders, Apr 20, 2011.

1. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Well after 6 months of growth I can officially say most of you were correct. The EEs were both roosters. See new pics below. Happy -even though he's much smaller is head honcho and very sweet and protective both of his hens and me. The other gets a bit testy at times but since he's not allowed to eat untill everyone else is done and is only occasionally allowed two of the hens for umm ' his pleasure' and has to be the last in at night I can understand. Both are awsome about caring for the hens - making nests and bringing or showing them choice treats and bugs.

origional post below
    HI everyone. I've been lurking for a while and finally had to join.

After a run in with a bob cat last year -yea we lost both hens- I'm building a new flock.- better protected this time and with more chickies of course. I'm trying out a variety just to see what I like best so I have only 2 of each breed. All came from TSC the day they came in. Since chick days are nearing the end and I've found that some of you are supposed to be pretty good at the sexing game I thought I'd ask for your opinions on my babies. Looking to sell some eggs so I'd like to know just how many hens I do have or if I NEED to get more (any excuse is better than none right?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The pics are really collages of the pics i have. the leghorns and production reds ( yea the PR are supposed to be pullets so you realy don't have to look at them) show both birds of each breed in the same image with multiples of each so the ones on top would be one bird and the ones on the bottom would be the second. Both of these arrived TSC on 3/14
    The Americaunas came in on 3/21 and each have their own collage. They were a bit more photogenic. Also are they really americaunas? after reading more about that breed I'm not so sure but that what TSC called them anyway. Note Happy-so named cause hesheit reminded us of happy feet-the penguin when we got hesheit- is definately smaller and less feathered out even though the same age. This one kinda goes to the beat of a different drummer so to say. Kinda had trouble getting to the food bowl through the rush (also have 4 cornish x same age) and so would give up a go off alone and forget it till everyone else got through. also since being put outside during the day this one want to forage for food more than eat the starter.This one is more often seen alone although really appears to be top dog(chick) with the chest bumping thing and often manages to steal the bug someone else found I think cause the smaller size allows it to sneak up between legs better. And note in one of the pics you can see two little unfeathered bumps on her wings. Is sheheit destined to have boney elbows?
    thanks for you help.
    Oh and just so they are not left out Got two golden comets last Monday.
    [​IMG]
    Yea they and just rinsed off they feet in the water dish then stepped back into the leaf litter in their box just before I picked them up.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

the 2 comets sexlinks, so girls!!! the first EE is a roo. Happy may go that way as well, hard to tell from the pics. everyone else looks like girlies!! Have fun!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    No, your birds are really Easter Eggers and not Ameraucanas, dang hatcheries... [​IMG] The single comb on the first EE is a huge give away. I think both of your EEs are boys. The first because of the huge red comb and the coloring that is coming in and the second because it looks like it's developing a red "cape" across its shoulders.

All of your other chicks look like girls at this point. Cute flock.

4. NormansGal44

NormansGal44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    My Easter Eggers are the same age. I thought they were "Ameracaunas" when I bought them at TSC (just mispelled) but then I learned different. :'( Next year I want to get some true Ameracaunas. [​IMG]

My guess is that your EE #1 is a roo since it has a big comb that is red. Happy looks like my three do so I'm thinking it's a she?

Uck, Bobcat. Apparently we have one in our neighborhood so our run/coop is going to be even more secure! [​IMG]

5. weeders n feeders

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    wow that was fast. [​IMG] Thanks Figures I wanted a colorful egg basket. just my style to get roos instead of blues. [​IMG]

And yea that's what I was thinking too about having EEs and not Americaunas. And I was also thinking the first one was a roo.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, they're not ameraucanas, and I'm not even seeing easter egger there. I'm not sure what they are, but I don't think they're ee. First one is a boy, second I think is girl, not a hundred percent. Leghorns, reds, and comets are girls.

7. weeders n feeders

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Update yall were right they were Roos. No green eggs for me. But if someone goes broody maybe I will get an olive? See updated pics at the top of the post

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by