Gender barred rock at 6 weeks

CdnMatt

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 10, 2014
hey everyone I may be picking up some barred rocks today that are 6 weeks. They are "straight run" he says.. But I want to be sure I pick the hens and maybe a single rooster.

I have barred rocks and know the hens are a tad darker and the feet are also darker then the roosters. Anything else I should look at so I'm not stuck with all roosters..

The seller says it's hard to sex them at this point ;)

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
11 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Some strains more difficult than others to sex based on down coloration. I would choose chicks that are at the extremes.

Pullets will have darker and smaller feet. Open wings and look at the bars. Cockerels will have lighter zones that are a lot wider relative to the dark zones when compared to a pullet. Cockerels will have larger combs and wattles. Look at the bill as males should have more yellow bills as well. Cockerels should also be larger often as much by a 1/3. Voices also differ at that age but requires a lot of practice to distinguish (males have deeper voices).

Casper101Popcor

Chirping
Apr 13, 2015
CA, always with my chickens!
Some strains more difficult than others to sex based on down coloration. I would choose chicks that are at the extremes.

Pullets will have darker and smaller feet. Open wings and look at the bars. Cockerels will have lighter zones that are a lot wider relative to the dark zones when compared to a pullet. Cockerels will have larger combs and wattles. Look at the bill as males should have more yellow bills as well. Cockerels should also be larger often as much by a 1/3. Voices also differ at that age but requires a lot of practice to distinguish (males have deeper voices).

I was about to post the same thing. I couldn't have said it better.

CdnMatt

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 10, 2014
I was about to post the same thing. I couldn't have said it better.

Awesome and you ! I'll give a look on google about the wing bar and what exactly to look at.

The ones in the ad seem to be older then 5-6 weeks

Last edited:

Top Bottom