Gender Bending Chicken???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Billyj, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Here are two new chickens I got.

I am not as concerned as to what they are, (however it would be nice). I know that they are some kind of cochin somethings. My question is are they boys or girls or one of each?

Here is the first one:

I am almost positive he is a boy. Big comb wattles crowing ect. Poofy tail. Pointy saddle feathers.

[​IMG]

Here is the other one. This is the one I am not sure about.

Same coloring as the first, but..

No comb, little wattles, no pointy saddle feathers. The tail is pointy like a tent (just like all of my other hens), however.....IT CROWS. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the picture is not as good as the first one, but can you still tell?

The crowing is confusing me. It has all the signs of a girl, with the exception of the crowing. Can a hen crow? Or, do I have a confused rooster. I was told they were the same age. Please help. Thanks

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I'm 99% sure you have two dudes [​IMG] the other one may just have not fully blossomed yet. My avatar roo grew his comb in a week. and started crowing. the birds are mixed looks like a couple of things in there, maybe some cochin, a little polish, neat looking

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Two Roosters..

Chris

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    And it looks like the 2nd may have a pea comb rather than single?

5. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    I guess it was the tail area that was confusing me. The 1st one, has the poofy tail like you normaly see with cochins along with the pointy saddle feathers, and the other has the tent like you see in hens and no pionty ones (yet). Oh well. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by