1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender & Breed Help Please <3

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by grumpyhen, Feb 17, 2014.

1. grumpyhen

grumpyhen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    Hallsville, Texas (East)
    Okay, so I have a couple---errr... a lot of questions.

I think I'll start with the easiest question first. I have two hens that I got from my grandmother's church friend's husband (yes-yes very specific.) Anywho, I'm curious as to what breed these two girlies are. (Yes, I realize one is bare backed and the other is having some feather damage from mating. That is why he needed to get rid of them.)

Anywho, here is Penny

[​IMG]

And this is Big Mama

[​IMG]

Next, if anyone can tell me if these Easter Eggers of mine are actually Easter Eggers or Amercaunas. And can you tell if I have any roo's in the mix?

[​IMG]

And... I have this adorable, teeeenyyyy tiiiinnnnyyyy chick that I got today. It is a solid greyish silver.... was being sold out of the bantams... and I would love to know what it is. My camera gives the grey color no justice... it looks like this?

[​IMG][​IMG]

And lastly I would loooove to know if I'm right for assuming that this is a silkie. Has the five toes, feathered legs and feet, and was being sold out of the bantam bucket ;) ---and any clue of this darling fancy pants is a roo or pullet?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. grumpyhen

Feb 13, 2014
    Hallsville, Texas (East)
    OOOhhh and one more.... This is Rooster Cogburn and I would love to know what he is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Penny looks to be a Rhode Island Red hen, Big Mama looks to be a Red Sexlink, as for your EE's, they are all EE's and are hens as well. For your bantam chick and the possible Silkie I have no idea as it is quite small to be able to tell what breed it is

1 person likes this.
  4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    X2 on what borne homestead said

I don't think your silkie is a silkie as it should have black skin, but I have seen some hatchery silkies come out with yellow skin. I am not sure if Sultans have 5 toes or not, but that would be my guess for it's breed. As for the other bantam it could be an old English game since it has the dark colored legs, but I'm not 100% sure.

Cogburn looks like a white rock, or a mix of white rock. What color are his legs?

5. grumpyhen

Feb 13, 2014
    Hallsville, Texas (East)
    Cool beans yall. And Cogburns legs are yellow. :)

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Agree with everything that's been said...Silkie is not a pure Silkie as no black skin, EE's are EE's and all girls, no idea on small little banty, RIR/Production Red and Red Sexlink for big hens...

and Rooster Cogburn looks to be a mix to me...with a White Leghorn or White Rock. Hard to tell...he's heavier as if he has Rock rather than the usually lighter Leghorn. The tinting on his hackles and back indicate mixed genes.

Enjoy your new flock.

Lady of McCamley

7. grumpyhen

Feb 13, 2014
    Hallsville, Texas (East)
    Thank y'all so much. I'm beyond pleased with them. I can't wait to see little fancy pants and the mystery bantam grow up. Only problem is I just realized that I now am the momma of 13 chickens and five ducks haha... Oh goodness

8. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Lol it doesn't take long! I have to will myself away from tractor supply during this time of year!

9. grumpyhen

Feb 13, 2014
    Hallsville, Texas (East)
    That was my first stop today but apparently since its president's day they didn't get them in like they were supposed to. I went to three feed stores today hahaha

10. grumpyhen

Feb 13, 2014
    Hallsville, Texas (East)
    And apparently sultans do have the five toes. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by