Gender & Breed Help Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BapNGmr, Oct 22, 2011.

1. BapNGmr

BapNGmr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    Hi all,

My husband and I purchased a few chicks about a month ago and they were all supposed to be sexed pullets; however, now that they're somewhere around 6-7 weeks we've been hearing something that sounds very suspiciously like early crowing. Whoever it is stops when we get in the room, so we have no idea which one is making the suspect noises. I know that on occasion the dominant female will start crowing, but I've heard that was rare. I'd love if you guys could check out these pictures and let us know if you think they are roos or hens.

Also, the day we got them the feed store was about to close so we had to pick our girls out really quick so we have no idea what breed any of them are. I'd be interested to know what they are if you have any ideas.

*We can try to get better picture later but our camera died and they are fairly squirmy.

Hermione is the dark one.
    Ginny is the red one.
    Luna is the light one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Cute birds. They all look pretty Girly, but if I had to pick one, it'd be Luna. Largest, pinkest comb of the three.

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Luna def looks like a boy.

4. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    I'm no expert but Luna looks my white leghorn girls even with the comb. If i were a bettin' gal i would wonder about Hermione being a Herman.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Breeds -- Luna is probably a White Leghorn, Ginny is a Red Sexlink (Red Star, ISA Brown, Cinnamon Queen, etc.), and Hermione is a Golden Laced Wyandotte.

Gender -- they all look like pullets... Are you sure it's a crowing kind of noise?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2 on breeds, and I'm also seeing all girls. Maybe post again in a few weeks?

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all look like pullets

8. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    They do all look like pullets- a white leghorn, golden laced wyandotte, and red sex link. If there is a roo it would be Luna most likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by