Gender / Breed - Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PoultryQueen101, Dec 27, 2014.

1. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    First up is Jingles. Jingles was born on Dec.1 and I need help confirming if she is a she. I will update as she grows.
    Jingles - Lavendar Ameraucana (dad)/ Blue Maran (mom) cross
    Always had a small, pale, Single Comb
    Hatched from a dark egg, hopefully is a hen we can raise as an olive egger
    4 toes
    non feathered pale greyish legs
    Pics from Dec.27
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is Rudolph. Ruddie was born on Dec. 2 and I need help IDing his breed. I am almost if not positive that he is a cockerel.
    We just cant decide if he is a Buckeye or RC RIR
    very rich, deep brown colors coming in
    very... very fat
    thick legs that are currently orange
    Hatched from tan egg
    largefowl
    undetermined comb...
    Very sweet and a little shy
    4 toes

Pic one- a few days after hatch
    [​IMG]

pic 2- Dec. 27
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. PoultryQueen101

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    I can attempt to get more pictures of either bird if needed.
    Thanks to any help. I cant be sure of anything until they get older :)

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Jingles looks like a pullet to me.

Rudolph does look like a cockerel. I'm thinking that he's a Rose Comb Rhode Island Red.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Jingles appears to be a pullet for now. I'm leaning towards Rudolph being a cockerel, and a Rose-combed Rhode Island Red. However, Buckeyes do look somewhat similar to RIRs when they're young, and you likely won't know breed for sure until he's older.

5. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Too soon for gender. I could say anything and have a 50% chance of being correct.. Find out what Rudolph's parents are. If that isn't possible then you are back to 50% possibilities for RIR or Buckeye. Based on the color of Jingles I would question his Daddy being Lavender. If Daddy was Lavender and Mommy was blue then the chick could only be black or blue.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I would wait a few weeks, it's hard to tell their gender and breed at such an early age.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree it is pretty early to determine with certainty.

Right now, it is likely that Jingles is a pullet as Marans tend to show early, so if she takes after that side more than the Ameraucana side, her lack of comb is a good indication of pullet at this point. (My BCM roo showed at 2 weeks, which the breeder said is very typical of the breed).

Rudy is not likely a Buckeye, though both female and male have pretty thick legs. However, they have a pea comb, and I think I am seeing a little dish shape indent that indicates a rose comb to develop, which would point to the RC RIR. Thicker legs could be indicating a roo, but I've had some pretty substantial legs on hens too. Comb has no real color yet, so that isn't helpful for a roo gender...this one is too early to call.

Lady of McCamley

8. PoultryQueen101

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    Thanks everyone!
    The Daddy of Jingles was absolutely a Lavendar Ameraucana, the only other rooster in the coop is a white silkie rooster, and every chick he has produced as a cross has feathered legs and black skin.

The hen could be debatable though, we have two other single comb hens in the coop.
    A Golden Comet and a Buff Golden, otherwise both are Production Red. The Maran doesnt lay the darkest of eggs, but there is a slight difference between the Comet Eggs

As for Rudolph, there is a slight dish in the comb and there is a small spike that I think is starting to grow. As I said, I would say almost for sure that is is a rooster based on the thickness of the comb. However, I hasnt grown much and is mostly pale yellow. If it is RIR I jope its a hen, if Buckeye, I hope its a rooster.

Guess we wont know for sure until they are all grown up.

And we dont know who Rudolphs parents are..

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  9. PoultryQueen101

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    The possible Fathers. 99% Sure its the lavendar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The possible Mothers
    First two are comets, then the marans sister, the maran that could be the mother is the blue chicken in the back of the first picture, but she is hard to see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Below is beloved Copper, the marans sister, but we had to cull her, so she cant be the mother
    [​IMG]

I also failed to mention that the Blue maran has Splash blood and her sister was Blue Copper, so there is some mix in there. Jingles father had to be the lavendar because she is muffed and bearded.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. PoultryQueen101

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    Never found out the mother of Jingles. We sold her in a quad with a lavander cockerel, and EE, and Jack Frost, who ended up being a Jenny Frost.

Rudolph turned out to be a roae comb rhode island red cockerel... who was too precious to give up.

Thanks for the answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by