Gender & Breed ID on my 17 Wk Old Pullet?? Up to Date Pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shell25, Nov 14, 2010.

1. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    I posted a post about a week ago about my uncorfirmed pullet and the feedback i got was mixed, Im now thinking Cuckoo Maran, originally told BR, but ruled that breed out due to the legs being creamish rather than yellow, started showing the odd brown feather now vow? Also still unsure as to boy or girl, if its a boy then its go to go, over the past 2 week she's got really chuncky and the comb and wattle developed more, a pinkish colour at the min, no aggression or crowing but did stand tall and fluttered wings a brief second when opened squeaky gate about 2 week ago (a stretch maybe) nothing since then and i have been trying to get her attention to see if she does it again. Also the comb leans to slightly, no sign of illness eating and drinking fine, free rangers from about 8am till sunset (4pm-ish). They are 17 week old but i think the 1 in question maybe older or the other 2 younger, i personally thought we was going to have an egg soon, alot of "bar" noise coming from the coop but cant pin point which one.

If anyone could help identify the sex and the breed that would be great, same as ive said if shes a boy then she will have to be returned, dont think we are allowed roos where we live and i have to small children that play in the garden where they freerange so i would sooner be safe then sorry.

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Hmmmm...to me, the tail seems like it is starting to have a curve to it. Females wouldn't have any curve, whatsoever. It's hard to tell with the pics if there's any saddle or hackle feathers, so I'm going on tail shape. Also, it looks like it is getting some black tailfeathers. That's a dead giveaway for a roo.

Sorry,

Shelly

3. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Quote:I to cant spot any rooish feathers, thing its cot its barred its hard to tell, but they look roundish not pointy, these wre took a week ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Quote:I to cant spot any rooish feathers, thing its cot its barred its hard to tell, but they look roundish not pointy, these wre took a week ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The tail feathers do look a little rooish but I think a girl. My roos at that age had big combs and wattles RED also and longer tail feathers longer hackle feathers and longer saddle feathers also crowing by then. In fact one crowed at 6 weeks.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a cockeral. In the last picture, I can see the pointy saddle feathers. As for breed, I'm not sure, I'd lean towards black sex link.

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I would have sworn female Barred Rock. I know for sure its not a male barred rock. At 17 weeks they are pretty dang distinctive.

Maybe its a mixed breed. I have gotten a few of those when buying from feed store. I would still think hen. Seriously 17 weeks and mine are chest bumping, play fighting, tails all up in the air, waddles and combs huge and redder than sin.

8. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Shelly, I don't know if this will help you at all, but for comparison, here are my BR and CM pullets and a CM cockerel at 15 weeks. The CM cockerel was mating hens already at that age and very "cocky". My CM pullet is much darker than the cockerel. There was no mistaking a cockerel at 17 weeks with my CM. Check out the last of my pics. Just my novice opinion.

Barred Rock pullet 15 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Marans Pullet 15 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Marans Cockerel 15 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Oh, I found a picture of the pair of Marans at 17 weeks
    Marans Pair 17 weeks
    [​IMG]

Edited to correct the breeds.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  9. shortstaque

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Wait a second, have I been confusing my Marans with my Rocks this whole time?

10. shortstaque

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Well, I'm reviewing the standards and then going to take a long, hard look at my birds. (I never should have ordered three barred breeds my first time around, I have Dominiques too, but with their rose combs they are easy to tell). Its hard because Marans are not recognized in the American Standards. Another thing that makes it tough is that hatchery birds are not bred to the standard.

Here is what I found:

Breed: Marans Plymouth Rock

Color: barred, dark slate and white barred, black/slate
    ending in dark* and white

Comb: Single, rough Single, medium,
    5 or more points* 5 points
    upright upright
    bright red bright red

Wattle: Long Medium-long
    rounded*
    bright red bright red

Ears: Long* Medium