Gender & breed predictions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Faraday40, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Below are 4 chicks age between 5-6 weeks. I think I may have all females, but not really sure of the breeds. If you have any breed predictions or think I have a roo, please share. Thank you.

[​IMG]
    Has a single comb, Grayish leg with copper coloration on front. Curious & friendly

[​IMG]
    Maybe Black Australorp? There were some adult hens present at the farm. Has a single comb (no pink color yet) & developing wattles. Has 2 feathers on toes - not legs, just 2 toes. Poops more than the others.

[​IMG]
    Was hoping for a Buff Orpington (also present at the farm), but I have no clue with all the white feathers. Very sweet & calm, but not out-going like the others..

[​IMG]
    Was hoping for a black Australorp, but definitely not one here. Looks like maybe a rose comb.

The next 3 pics are just for fun. We love the personalities of our lovable chicks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    Looks like crosses. First one could be an Easter Egger cross. Second looks like an Australorp, curious about the random toe feathers. Perhaps a Maran/Australorp cross. Third could be a Buff Orpington Cross. What other breeds did you see at the farm? Maybe it'll help us with the crossbreed. Last looks like another Easter Egger cross with a Cuckoo Marans rooster. They all look female to me, maybe except for the black. Give it a week or two. If the comb gets unusually large and redder than the rest, then that's a sign of cockeral attributes.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I'd say mixes, and I'd watch the solid black one

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    EE mix female
    Australorp mix male
    Buff Orp or Red Sex Link mix female
    Wyandotte or Dominique mix female

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop

6. Faraday40

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    I still have no idea what kind of pullet this is - or even if it is a pullet. So far, none of the 4 chicks look or act like boys. This one is starting to get some pink at almost 9 weeks old, but the comb area is still very flat. She's definitely the clown of the group, loves to snuggle, & has a touch of "bad hair day" on top. She's very submissive to the other chicks, so maybe Dominque in the mix??? What breed(s) may cause the Mohawk effect? Do you think she's a hen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    I am going with hen. Where are the pics of the others?

8. Faraday40

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Here are the other 3. Not too many changes. I still think they may all be female.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Notice the silly single feather on toe. (She doesn't actually sit in the trees. I put her there to stand still for the photo.)

[​IMG]

In a couple weeks, I plan to introduce them to my 1st hatch (almost 15 weeks old). For now, they have side by side runs during the day & sleep in the garage at night. Every pm we have a chicken parade as I walk one group to the coop to be locked up, then take the younger ones to the garage. I fear the younger ones will get beaten up if I tried to put them together now.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I love how you mentioned one poops more than the others LOL

They all look like girls to me at this age. I was iffy on the black until you posted a second picture.

#1 & #3 are definitely girls.
    #4 is a crested mix. The second photo set is iffy, but I am leaning more towards girl than boy.

10. Faraday40

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    The black one was orig named Licorice. Her nickname (& what she responds to) is "Poopie Poo." She still poops more frequently. Might be the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by