Gender / Breed question

lizzychick

Songster
8 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Chicago Suburbs
Hi -
I'm taking this question straight to the flock masters on BackYard Chickens......
My chicks are three weeks old. I have a variety of chicks, none are the same. I ordered all females, but I think I might have a rooster in my flock. This chick is has been a bit bigger the the rest from the start. It is much slower in getting its feathers in, and it has bigger legs, though it may only look that way because the body feathers are not in yet. My other chicks have their wing, tail, and back feathers in, and are just starting on under side feathers. The chick in question only has half her wing and just starting her tail feathers. She is the most timid of the bunch. The last to learn/do everything. I realize she may just be developing differently due to breed?? She is either an Easter Egger or a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. I think EE because I only ordered one EE and ordered three of the BLR. I received 4 chipmunk chicks. Three the exact same size and color, one larger and more muted color. Thats why I'm pinning her a as an EE. What is you expert opinions? Thank you so much for your input. It may determine if I go out and get a few more chicks for females.

Thank you all for the reply. As she gets more feathers she is looking more blr to me too. No sign of comb or wattles at nearly 4 weeks....please be a girl...please please be a girl!!

It is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte because is you look at it's comb it is very flat and wide (rose comb) while Easter Eggers' combs are narrower and are more bumpy. You can also tell by it's legs, Wyandottes have yellow legs like yours and Easter Eggers legs are a greenish grey color. The reason it's color is different is could be because Blue Laced Red Wyandottes often turn out to be a muted splash color. With those super thick it makes me think cockerel.

Just an update, at 10 weeks, no significant combs or wattles, still taking FOREVER to fully feather in. Biggest bird in the bunch but very docile. I'm still thinking pullet.

Back
Top Bottom