Gender? Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ag8chick, May 18, 2016.

1. ag8chick

ag8chick New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Mississippi
    Hi! I was given two tiny chicks before easter. I called the feed store where i thought they were purchased. They said could be ideal 236. Did some research and not sure of the brown spots. Also im new to chickens. Not sure on the gender! Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They are 8-9weeks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At 8-9 weeks both birds are male. The bottom bird (red/brown spotting) is a red sex link. The top bird could be a couple of breeds, as he matures a bit more which one will become more clear.

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :thumbsup x2

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    They both look like cockerels, the top one is most likely a Plymouth Rock and the bottom one looks like a Red sex-link.

5. ag8chick

ag8chick New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Mississippi
    Thanks! Silly question, how can you tell they are cockerels? Is it because the have bigger combs so young? Just trying to learn! Thanks yall!

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Not a silly question at all, what normally gives it away is the size of the comb/wattles at that given age and another way is if they have rooster looking saddle feathers/sickles (you can read more about it here:Is My Chicken a Pullet or Cockerel?) . Also different breeds have different tell by signs, for instance Red sex-links (which is a hybrid not a breed actually) pullets are Red with some white but the cockerels are white with red patches on their wings/shoulders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by