1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender Check ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ksrchicks, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ksrchicks

ksrchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Hello - These are my first chickens. They are supposed to be pullets (hatchery sexed) however would love your advice on what you think. The 3 "girls" are 6 weeks old now. Thank you!!

#1 - Molly (NH Red)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 Claudia (White Plymouth Rock)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 Cathleen (Barred Rock)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks like a bunch of girls.

3. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    2&3 are probably pullets. I'm guessing Roo with #1

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

5. ksrchicks

Jun 14, 2011
    Quote:x2

Oh that would be wonderful [​IMG]. Thank you all three for your response and advice! I was pretty convinced Cathleen and Claudia were girls but have zero experience, and wasn't sure at all about Molly. It is hard b/c I do not have any chicks that are the same for comparison. Molly is a bigger bird and her tail feathers seem more upright but I have not noticed any red on the comb yet and she is quite shy compared the other girls. I have one other chick a bantam BR (Polly Jean) who did not cooperate for first photo shoot but I will post pictures soon as thinking Polly may be a Paul. Again hard to tell b/c the only bantam but she(?) is quite striking and tips head back to crow but no noise comes out! Do girls do that? Yawn maybe?? Thanks again for your opinions!!

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It could be a yawn. They will do that. [​IMG]

IMO I'd watch Molly. I'd love to say with the others that it's a girl, but there's something in me that kinda goes against it... If you know what I mean. [​IMG] The legs look rather thick and the tail just doesn't quite look right. Just my opinion. [​IMG]

BTW, I love the name Polly Jean! [​IMG]

7. ksrchicks

Jun 14, 2011
    Ok, great to know that they yawn and that it is not just a warm-up crow! I will keep an eye on Molly and post more pictures. I thought pullet for sure until recently and then her tail started looking rather upright [​IMG]. I will also work on socializing double time b/c if we are going to have a roo I want to do everything I can to have the friendliest one possible. I will post some pictures of Polly Jean soon (my husband named her after a musician!) and hopefully she does not turn out to be a Paul! Thanks for your opinion!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by