Gender check ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mosomers, Aug 14, 2014.

1. mosomers

mosomers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    I am at a point with chickens where I can kinda sense male vs female but I can't describe the differences that must be cluing me in so I'm not totally certain of myself. I'm feeling that this EE is a roo. Am I right?
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The bird in front looks like a pullet to me. However (in case you are wondering), the bird in the back of the photo is a rooster.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The bird in the front of the photo is definitely a pullet, but the one in the back is a cockerel.

4. mosomers

Apr 29, 2014
    Whew! Good! So my instincts are off. What markers indicate the chicken in front is a hen? (I've got the roo in back figured out.) :) Does it make a difference that I'm not sure how old she is? I got her a few days ago and the seller said she's laying but I haven't seen any eggs yet. It sounded like the seller had quite a few chickens so I'm wondering if maybe they thought the girls I bought were laying but they were actually eggs from other hens.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Her color pattern wouldn't be seen on a male. Additionally, I'm not seeing any pointy hackle (neck) feathers or any saddle feathers (long, pointy feathers near the tail of roosters). The comb is small and pale.

6. lithiachick

lithiachick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    She is probably just a bit stressed from the change. I like her coloring!

7. mosomers

Apr 29, 2014
    Thank you all! I appreciate your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by