Gender & Color Id on odd little 14 week old Easter Egger

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IsaacK, Jul 5, 2016.

1. IsaacK

IsaacK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Another lil one from Rural King. Though this one was a Rooster because it was mostly rumpless then had curved feathers and acted full of itself... But now that they are older, I am not sure, so I thought I would post here. I am also curious what breeds may have been used to create this one. Its feathers are a kind of rust and lavender color. It was mostly a lavender color as a chick too.

[​IMG]

2. Lincy

Lincy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Kinda looks like an EE. What color are the legs?

3. Wilebaum

Wilebaum Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Looks like an EE pullet, no idea on what it's crossed with.

4. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    It has the dark legs and is defiantly as Easter Egger, I was just wondering what the color might be called and if its a Rooster or Hen. We have 4 EEs, but this is the oddball. The others are partridge like colors and a solid white. :)

5. Lincy

Lincy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    No idea. She looks like a pretty pullet. I had two that were similar in color.

6. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks, really hoping its a pullet/hen, but thought with the cool colors id would end up being a rooster. Its feathers started as that lavender/blue color when they came in. Then the red started coming in. I cant find any other breed with those colors so was hoping someone might know what to call the color or pattern too. Appreciate the feedback!

7. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for your input. Hopefully it is a "she" and will lay eggs some day. Will be interesting to see what color they are. I have had a lot of chickens, but this is my first year with EE's other than a few that were gifted to me years ago, but they looked a lot different.

8. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Now around 5 months old. Here are updated pictures. Still curious as to the gender, what to call the color, and which breeds may have produced an EE that looks like this. Please excuse the mud and close quarters. We had some flooding here. Thanks again. K.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She's a Blue partridge-type Easter Egger. And since she's hatchery sourced, she's not likely to be a mixed breed. It is a very common misconception that Easter Eggers are Ameraucana or Araucana mixes. That simply isn't true at all. In fact, the Ameraucana and Araucana breeds were actually derived from Easter Egger type birds. It's those same type of birds that hatcheries have been breeding from for generations now. It's the Ameraucana and Araucana that have Easter Egger in them, not the other way around.

10. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting. That is the first time I have heard it told that way. And yes, this one did come from a hatchery as it was acquired from the local feed store. I forget which hatchery they use.

Any thoughts on these EE's:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1128379/breed-gender-on-little-blue-birds#post_17423230

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by