Gender Confused Chook???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeonieJane, Jan 11, 2012.

1. LeonieJane

LeonieJane Out Of The Brooder

Hello all,

I have an Isa Brown hen who crows all the time and usually around the same time...Is this normal? I have only 3 hens in total and she is the only one who does it...I though only roosters crowed and she is 100% hen! We started off with 2 hens which haven't been around roosters before and then we rescued this hen from a farm who was with roosters a lot...I was told that perhaps because she has come from that environment into this one with no roosters that she has taken on the role herself...Like she is gender confused...Could this happen?

Cheers

Leonie

2. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    You will get a dominate hen when you don't have a rooster in the flock. It doesn't always happen but it does happen a lot.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
  4. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

crowing hens are not unheard of from all the past threads on this topic , but i think in a lot of cases it turns out to be a rooster...but you cant argue with a laying , crowing hen.. although just like with humans , dogs , cats etc it could be a case of hermaphroditism , as it is documented in poultry by the university of Michigan in 68- check it out http://www.jstor.org/pss/1588160

5. LeonieJane

OK now I feel bloody stupid....I didn't realize that hens has 'egg songs'...I am thinking that that is perhaps what she is doing!

[​IMG]

6. JP101010

My Hens have eggs songs , each one unique to the hen but it definitly does not sound like crowing.. not to say that its impossible...
    a cock-a-doodle-doo is universal language... my girls egg songs sound more like a cluck cluck bok bok announcement [​IMG]

7. LeonieJane

From memory it was a bok bok begokk kinda call I will have to listen more carefully tomorrow though I am almost certain now that I have misinterperated the calling.

Hmmm...

[​IMG]

8. JP101010

ohh... a bok bok begok is an egg song... i am so glad you also speak chicken , I was afraid you would think know i am a weirdo [​IMG]

9. LeonieJane

LOL not at all I am fluent in chicken! I'm just glad she isn't gender confused though I think a rooster would be quieter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by