1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender-confused Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken_Lover4567, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    We've all seen them. But I think I have one now. I know some roos are late bloomers on the whole "crowing" scene but mine is a bit different. My rooster, Me-ke goes into the nesting box every single day and sits on FAKE EGGS. He wno't let any hen near him and when he gets out, a hen comes and lays real eggs. He then pushes her off and sits. He is about......7 months old. Should he be crowing soon? I love hearing roosters crow..but all I hear in the morning is my ladies egg-laying. [​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    That's funny [​IMG]
    My young leghorn/andalusian rooster likes to sit on the eggs for a while after my hens lay them.His leghorn dad likes to sit in the nests with the hens as they lay.
    I also have a young game rooster mix that thinks he's a hen.When the big rooster (also a game and his dad) tries to chase him,he acts like a broody hen and spreads out his wings.He looks just like one when he does it.The big rooster stopped attacking him when he started doing this and leaves him alone now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by