Gender confused silkie? -huge comb

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by possumhunter, Oct 27, 2010.

1. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    Okay, I'm not even sure where to post this...

This is a silkie that i gave to my mom as a chick. It comes from decent silkie lines (purchased the eggs from a reputable BYC member).

My mom has heard this bird crow and I was positive by the looks of it (large comb) that this was a he....

Until 2 days ago, when "it" laid an egg....has anyone seen such a roo-ish hen before? The other hen that was a "hatch-mate" with it has the perfect crest and beatiful hen features. Sorry, its a bit hard to see the comb against the partridge color. But if you look closely you can see it. It's huge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Is that a single comb? Can't really see it good.

Also, if it were a male it would have streamers by now. There sort of like longer feathers comming out the back of its head for a sort of wind swept look.

3. possumhunter

Jan 6, 2010
    No it is a walnut comb and very pronounced wattles as well. Maybe I will try for a better picture.

This is still a young bird (7 months) but it looked to me like it has small streamers starting, but I'm still learning too, so I'm not positive.

4. possumhunter

Jan 6, 2010
    I lightened one of the pictures significantly so that you can see the comb better...you can also see the wattle just next to the finger too.

[​IMG]

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    cockerel

6. mtcookie

mtcookie Dances with Chickens

Mar 17, 2009
    Santa Cruz
    How do you know "it" laid an egg? Are you sure it was "its" egg lol

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:x2

8. possumhunter

Jan 6, 2010
    It prolapsed with it's first egg, we actually had to "cut" to get the egg out, since we couldn't find any opening to get the egg out. Luckily it seems to be recovering well so far (thanks to the all the prolapse info I found on BYC). It has even layed one more egg since then and it is inside in the basement right now, to keep it out of the light and let the prolapse recover.

9. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Is A Shim! Or
    A Mixture Between A She And Him

10. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Looks like a hen to me - I don't see any shiny hackle feathers or streamers or that slicked back crest. Silkies have such a variation in comb size, hers looks like a single comb. I had a cockrel once that had such a huge comb and wattles that a friend asked me if his brain was growing on the outside of his skull. [​IMG]

She wouldn't be the first hen that crowed, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by