Gender Confusion?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the5ksinusa, Dec 19, 2016.

1. the5ksinusa

the5ksinusa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    We got new chicks in July as our flock was decimated down to one hen. We got one rooster with our chicks. At first we thought he would naturally take over the flock but it seems that older hen seems to have a different idea. Over the last couple of days she got increasingly aggressive towards the rooster. Every time she sees rooster jumping a hen she attacks him. But not only that, she made an attempt at crowing and this morning I saw her her jumping a hen (not fighting - jumping) and after she was done she proceeded straight to laying an egg. How weird is that...

No really a question here as I just intend to let it play out. but it is so weird to watch.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Some hens, if there is no rooster in the flock, will try and act as the dominant rooster. I hope you get it figured out!

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Once the Cockerel fully matures and spring rolls around he will not take her abuse anymore....So possibly be prepared for a good week or so of him putting her in her place...You could also try popping her into a look no touch pen to take her down in the pecking order right now? About a week or so is all it should take....

Best of luck...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by