1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender Emergency! Need opinions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by saraiquimby1, Aug 9, 2014.

1. saraiquimby1

saraiquimby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I have 3 three week old Duccle Bantam mix babies that I'm fairly certain 2 are roos. I can't have roosters where I live so I am swapping them out for hens on Tuesday. But I want opinions on whether you agree about gender for these three before I swap them!
    Let me know.

Chick 1

[​IMG]

Chick 2

[​IMG]

Chick 3

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Chick 1 may be a rooster and the rest hens but they are really young that I am not sure.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    WAY too early to give any viable guess at all. Re-post at about 10-12 weeks...

4. MsPoultry

MsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    i would wait until their older just to be safe

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    X2 it's too early but #1 is looking rooish to me.

6. saraiquimby1

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone. I was afraid #1 was a roo. That one is my favorite. But attitude-wise also you guys are spot on. They both act like roosters. Chick 3 is the biggest by far also.
    I know it's early but the problem is this is my only chance to swap them out. The lady gave me 2 weeks to change my mind on them, and I don't want to end up keeping them and have a couple turn out to be roosters and not be able to keep them. I worry about them not getting the right home once they are older.
    So i'm thinking I will take them back and get a couple from the same hen, hoping again to get hens out of her! lol

It's a shot in the dark, but it's my last chance and I wanted opinions. So thank you so much! Keep them coming! I know it's early though :)

7. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    At this age behavior and size are unreliable gender indicators at best, but the gender development shown in the combs of number 1 and 3 is quite male type. I reckon 1 and 3 are males and number 2 is female.

All three are feathered up in more typically male development patterns than female but that's another rule of thumb which doesn't apply across the board; chick number 2 is definitely closer than the others to looking female in terms of gendered traits showing at the moment, including comb and feathering.

It's weird that your breeder will only give you 2 weeks to swap them out; if you asked for all pullets, and they sold you supposedly all pullets, the onus is not on you to sex them at such a young age. However if you just got straight run there's more onus on you to make snap decisions.

As others have said, this is still early, however it's not too common to see a 3 week old pullet of any breed with a crest like either 1 or 3.

Best wishes.

8. saraiquimby1

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Thank you :)

9. saraiquimby1

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Got two new babies!![​IMG]

[​IMG]