Gender for WC Black Polish??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ajones813, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Ajones813

Ajones813 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]

Love these chicks!!

Any idea how to tell the gender?

Also, I've noticed that our WC Black Polish have more 'feathery' feathers...Not really the typical sleek feathers....if that makes sense....Does that mean anything different? Or are they just more feathery?

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

Glad you joined us.

Ways to tell gender. [​IMG]

Well easiest is to wait until he crows or she lays an egg then you will know for sure.
    You can watch and see if wattles and comb grow and turn pink and then red.
    You can observe the formation of the feathers especially around the neck and near the tail in what would be the saddle.

I am less familiar with Polish but I would encourage you to take a picture of the front and side of the face and a side shot of the body and post it in the breed section and see if another polish keeper could give you a better guess.

Hope that helps
    Caroline

3. Ajones813

Ajones813 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you! :) Yea, I just realized I did a thread in the new member section. Oops. lol. Reading up now how to start a thread in the appropriate forum. :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] that's okay you are welcome here. If you go to "what gender or breed is this," they may be able to answer your questions. I think they usually say a wild, rock start crest indicates a male while a bouffant crest (rounded) is likely to be a female. If the feathers seems different, it could be you have a frizzled polish. Good photos would help evaluate that.

5. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Hello & Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I'd definitely try posting in the section of the forum that drumstick diva suggested. I'm sure you'll get many responses there! I've never kept polish myself, so I can't comment on the gender. Good luck!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! From the shape of the crest, I'd guess pullet for now. Males tend to have more pointy, less puffy crests. When they get older, they also develop pointy feathers in the crest, whereas females will have blunt ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by