Gender gamble: 2 EEs and a Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by melalthia, Mar 15, 2009.

1. melalthia

melalthia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Boulder Creek, CA.
    So these are my latest aquistions from a local feed store. 2 EE's and a Barred Rock. They are all 6 weeks old. Anyone care to guess what sex they are?

EE #1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one started out bigger than the rest, so for awhile i was wondering if it was a boy but now I'm not sure it is. Might just be a husky girl with good genes.

EE #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is my trouble maker. It had a clogged poop duct continuously the first week of life and because of that seemed to get a late start on growth. Also, i think it broke its toe in the shipping because it's always been curled like that.

Barred Rock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one really has me confused. I was pretty sure it was a girl from the start because of the black/grey smudging on the front of it's legs, but it's so perky...

Thanks for playing!

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I would guess all girls, but it would help to see a picture of the barred rock's comb. The coloring on the EE's look like other EE pullets I've seen.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would guess all girls as well.

4. melalthia

melalthia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Boulder Creek, CA.
    Thanks for the fast replies. Do EE's have different colorings from boys to girls? I didn't think they did... I have two other EEs who are just about to start laying eggs, and they have that same pretty coloring as these babies. There names are Laverne and Shirley; here's a picture of them.

[​IMG]

If boys do a have a different coloring...what is it?

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Is it possible that you have something other than a BR there? I'm thinking the legs aren't right, because BR are all yellow, to my understanding.

Could it be a barred of a different breed? Either way, I think you're safe, because it looks very dark, and aren't the bars wider black stripes with pullets in most breeds?

Pretty, all three, either way!

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Your front EE has very typical EE pullet/hen coloring - I've seen lots like her and even have one similar to her myself. I'm not sure about your other hen. Do you happen to have another photo of the one in back (side view)? Also, I'm curious as to how old your older pullets are.

Mine are 22 weeks - this photo was taken 6 weeks ago - they are filled out more and a little bit prettier now. Cleopatra is at the far left & Sparrow at the far right.

[​IMG]

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think there is any color difference between males and females with EEs. There are colors that you see more often it seems, and yours seem to have that more typical coloring, but I don't think it has anything to do with gender.

Rscrvc, BRs do have yellow legs, but females generally have a dark wash down the front of their legs. How much can vary from bird to bird, but that is one of the signs to look for when determining gender in BRs.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I have noticed a difference (sometimes, but not always) in EE sexes.... the pullets seem to be more evenly patterened/colored... and the cockerels seem to be more 'sectioned' , if that makes sense [​IMG] But it's not an absolute thing...especially with so many EEs having different breeds in them. But, with the EEs I got from Frizzledhen, I definitely noticed this..... so I think if a group is being bred over time it can work this way.

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    my guess is girls. But Im still learning.

10. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    My guess is all girls, too. The BR has a dark wash down the front of her legs like all my BR pullets do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by