Gender/Genders Still A Mystery *New Pic*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Redcatcher, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I am still trying to figure out the mystery behind this chimera bird. This was taken when it was about a month old. The comb was already reddening and developing. It is a pea comb which is not going to be large anyway. Would you say definitely cockerel from this photo IF it were a normal chick?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I think it is a EE cockerel

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    What an interesting bird. It is definitely a mix. It is too early to note the sex. I would love to see more pictures as it ages and grows.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    rooster

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a hatchery SLW pullet whose comb and tiny wattles reddened VERY early. I think at 4 weeks old. I was convinced it was a rooster. She is now very close to laying and definitely does not have saddle or hackle feathers and I am 100% sure it is a she.

Your gorgeous bird may have a rose comb or pea comb (or some combination). I would wait until it is old enough to grow saddle/hackle feathers before drawing a conclusion.

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Is the left side of the pic photo shopped? If it were a "normal" chick from that picture I would say pullet, but that would depend on what breed too. Some breeds feather out almost the same as chicks and only slightly different as adults.

I found your other post.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=400424 .....is this the same bird in question?
    If so....those look like better pictures.

7. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Quote:I thought it looked photoshopped too...the black feathers that start at the top of the breast are blurred.........

8. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    They are not photoshopped. It still had grey chick down so that is probably what you are seeing. The photo was just to show off the red comb. It is a D'Uccle Wyandotte/EE/gamefowl cross so how it feathers out is anyone's guess. I am not seeing where it is feathering out there as a pullet. How does one tell on a crossbred?

9. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it is a rooster

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Most/some (I don't know all the different color variation) Wyandotte, EE, and gamefowl the rooster breast feathers are darker or patterned differently than pullets. I know that EEs are considered by majority to already be crosses themselves. D'Uccle I don't know much about from chick to adult feathering. And of course you have colors like white, black, mottled, lavender (self-blue), barred, etc. that would have basically the same feathering (but maybe slight differences).

Wanted to add:
    Although the comb can be a good indicator of the sex that is not all that matters on determining sex. Do you have a up to date picture for comparison?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by