Gender guess? Bantam cochin (I think)

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Hello! I'm pretty new to raising chickens and I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is a girl or boy. We already have 2 roosters, so I'm hoping girl but the comb seems redder than I'd like šŸ˜… She
She is 6 weeks old, I think a bantam cochin but that's just a guess. She is very small and super fluffy - the first we had to really fluff up and get her feathers.

Attachments

• 20210320_162656.jpg
    20210320_162656.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210316_173158.jpg
    20210316_173158.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 22
When the comb goes lower over the nostrils, that is usually my indication that it is a male. I use this even at the feed stores to pick out the newly hatched chicks, when they all have teenie tiny combs.

When the comb goes lower over the nostrils, that is usually my indication that it is a male. I use this even at the feed stores to pick out the newly hatched chicks, when they all have teenie tiny combs.
Yup. I waited another couple weeks and asked again just to be sure (was so hoping for pullet!) But nah, definitely a boy. It's OK, I've come to terms with that now. We will make room for him here, he's just too sweet to lose. ā¤

Yup. I waited another couple weeks and asked again just to be sure (was so hoping for pullet!) But nah, definitely a boy. It's OK, I've come to terms with that now. We will make room for him here, he's just too sweet to lose. ā¤
They are a sweet breed, so he could easily be a very docile rooster and kid friendly!

Back
Top Bottom