Gender guess from EE people pls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BaGAWK!!, Oct 29, 2011.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Here is a 5-7 wk old EE, cockerel I presume since he sure does have a sizable comb that's getting pink, he's a slow featherer and pointed hackles. My questions being, can anyone confirm that he is indeed a cockerel, and any guesses on what his final color will be? His hackles are all black and if I remember correctly his chest feathers are all black too. Thanks for all your help!

Here he is, Russell Crowe
    [​IMG]

Here is his buddy, same age I think. I'm thinking pullet but have heard with EE's that the black and white ones are most likely boys. THoughts? She is black and white but I can't post a pic of her at this time.

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    looks like a girl to me, But the Comb Is a Mystery....

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    comb says boy. Color says it's too early to tell for sure, but tat comb really says boy.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I think a boy, and he will start getting some red in his feathers in the wings (around his sides) at least and maybe hackles, you will see the red before you see any hackles or saddles, it will look like he's "rusting" at first.

5. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Cool, I"m down with the red filtering in! Thanks for your replies. Does anyone have any photos of their cockerel/roo that looked like this when a chick? He was a dark chipmunk color when still fuzzy.

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    One of mine looked similar...
    At about 3 days old (he's on the right)
    [​IMG]

And at 8 weeks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I couldn't see the comb clearly. So does his comb have three rows of "peas" or only one main ridge of peas through the center. I agree that the (feather) color would make me suspicious, but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in redness of the comb. Two of my EE pullets had very bright combs by 4-5 weeks of age. One for sure I just knew was a cockerel - but he wasn't; she only had the center ridge of peas rather than three rows.

8. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    @Lothiriel, thx for the photos, that helps a lot, pretty bird. I would love to see what he looks like all grown up!

@teach, interesting about the rows in the comb, will have to go out and take a look now!

9. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    @teach1rusl, do you have any idea if the rows of combs hold true for Light brahma cockerels?

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

BaGAWK!! :

@teach1rusl, do you have any idea if the rows of combs hold true for Light brahma cockerels?

Sorry, no. I only know about the EEs because I was in a panic a few weeks ago just KNOWING I ended up with TWO cockerels in my pullet order - they're combs were just so red so early, and all had thickish legs. Lots of experienced EE folks here gave me the low down on common feather coloration patterns and the pea comb differences between pullets/cockerels. That would be interesting to learn though, whether any pea combed breed uses the three vs. one row of peas for sexing.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by