1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender Guess on 2 ~4 week old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlpineSpringsRanch, Jun 12, 2011.

1. AlpineSpringsRanch

AlpineSpringsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    These are the only two I can identify individually because they are "one of a kind" in the brooder.

Of my McMurray bunch, only one buff brahma survived (of 4) and then of course there is the "free rare chick". I will be putting bands on the others this week and then hopefully get them posted up for gender guesses as well.

Do you guys still think pullet on the Barred Rock?? What about the brahma, is it too early to tell yet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

[​IMG]I've had lots of chicks, but those still look to young to tell. When chicks are young, its really hard to tell their gender just by a picture. It is better to tell on their behavior. See which ones are more agressive, which ones have a better posture making them taller then others, which ones walk elegantly with their heads bobing back and forth, is their comb a bit bigger than others?, if yes then these are roosters. If they are a bit more submissive, look a bit short and keep their head lower so their cheast kind of pops out then these are hens. When they get older you can easily tell by their coloration, their tail, comb, and their behavior gets more distinctive. But for now they all look about the same with a few differences. I'd say your guess is about right but you can never know for sure. Hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by