1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender guess on my feather leg EE.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dragonmorgan, Apr 10, 2012.

1. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I bought 3 EEs from my local feed store 4 weeks ago. 2 of them look pretty normal but one is different. It had a fluffier face and was the cutest little thing. Now that its gettin bigger other differences are standin out. One thing is that it has feathered legs and its comb looks different. I know EEs are mutts but they came from the same hatchery so I didnt think they would be so different. Any ideas on what it might look like when its grown and whether its a roo or pullet.

Heres a pic of the comb from a couple weeks ago. Is this a pea comb?
    [​IMG]

Here it is today. I tried to get a good comb picture. Its hard to tell in the pic but its kind of pink.
    [​IMG]

Heres a full body pic.
    [​IMG]

Heres a couple pics of the leg feathers. One is more feathered than the other. One leg is feathered to the foot with a feather or 2 on the toe and the other leg is only feathered about half way down the leg.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it looks to be a cockerel cant help with anything else but it does have that ee appearance

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Looks like a cockerel to me!

4. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Well that stinks. Its my fav EE too. Its super skittish tho. Hopefuuly my other 2 r pullets.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Definitely a cockerel

6. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    It looks like it is a rooster!

7. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I would vote cockerel.

8. GentlyLiving

GentlyLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    what makes you all say cockerel? Still new to this and trying to learn the tricks. It's comb doesn't look too big to me, so what gave it away?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see two things. The coloring is one. Check for the thread on sexing easter eggers by color. The splotchy coloring with reddish patches on the wings is a sign of a boy. It's not as obvious here, but it's there. Second is the legs. They are quite thick, pullets as a rule have thinner, more delicate legs. Occasionally you have a hen with tree trunk legs, but it's not common. And you don't tell her about it, you'll hurt her hen feelings [​IMG]

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    His coloring (the red shoulder) and the pinkness his comb make me ay cockerel. Pullets don't start pinking up like that until they are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by