1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender Guesses? 6 Weeks Old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KCAmelia, Sep 19, 2015.

1. KCAmelia

KCAmelia Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2015
    These are some chicks I purchased straight run. I'm pretty sure the two ameraucanas/EE's are cockerels, but I'm looking for confirmation, and I'm kind of hoping the brahma is a pullet. :)

Here are some pics. I can keep trying if I need better ones.

Grey Ameraucana:

[​IMG]

White and rust ameraucana:

[​IMG]

Light brahma:

[​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The middle bird has cockerel coloring. For the others, we'll need better pics. Since they're pea combed breeds, comb shots would be good also.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree

4. KCAmelia

May 31, 2015
    Thanks for looking and weighing in! Here are more pics that might help with the other two:

This one of the two tails is what I keel going back to. It seems like the females have triangle shaped tails (middle bird, white) and male tails are rounder from the back (far right bird). But that's just my own observation after raising two small batches of chicks. :) I know they say that until they crow or crouch, hackle and sickle feathers are the best way to tell.

[​IMG]

I tried to get comb and profile shots that were better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    I vote all pullets. But I'm not very familiar with this breed yet.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking they're pullets.

hackle and saddle feathers won't show up on a male until around 3 months, and even later on a breed like the Brahma. At this point you'd be looking for larger, plumper, red combs with three rows of peas.

7. KCAmelia

May 31, 2015
    Ah, okay. Three rows on the boys? I feel like they hardly have any combs yet at all! Maybe that's a good sign. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  8. bantamsumatras

bantamsumatras New Egg

Sep 20, 2015
    Disheartened I have to say it looks like the only pulley I'd bet money on...personally....is the light Brahma....but I am not positive that the rest are roos...I'd vote that you have at least on boy in the bunch!!! Lovley birds!!! And a boy amerucana would be great to cross into you Brahma and any heavy breed and have Easter preggers next year!!!!

9. KCAmelia

May 31, 2015
    Yes, I'll settle for an ameraucana roo if I must. I feel like the light brahma might be a pullet, too. We'll just have to see how they feather out!

10. KCAmelia

May 31, 2015
    I think I see three rows starting on the light Brahma's comb but not the grey Ameraucana, yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by