Herkimer County, NY
First is pure Barnevelder.

Second is a Lavender Split Ameraucana.

Last edited:

junebuggena

Crowing
Apr 17, 2015
Long Beach, WA
The Barnevelder looks like a cockerel with that solid black chest, and I think I can see a bit of darker red on those shoulders/wings.
The Ameraucana looks like a pullet for now, but that may change in a few more weeks.

tao chick

Songster
May 20, 2015
Herkimer County, NY
The Barnevelder looks like a cockerel with that solid black chest, and I think I can see a bit of darker red on those shoulders/wings.
The Ameraucana looks like a pullet for now, but that may change in a few more weeks.

Thanks for pointing out the red on the Barnevelder. It didn't show up on the original picture but I see it here now. I think you're right about that one.
Ameraucanas take a little longer I think. I don't see three rows of comb but I can't tell. That one started feathering like a pullet but I couldn't remember if Ameraucana can be sexed by wing feathers on Day 1 or not.

Cheep N Peep

Songster
Apr 9, 2015
Castle Rock, Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
The Ameraucana looks like a pullet to me. My EE boy had a huge red comb by eight- nine weeks, and started crowing around ten or eleven weeks old. At least, that's when I figured out what he was doing... didn't sound like any crow I'd ever heard! I think that there is a pretty good chance it's a girl. Barnevelder looks like a boy.

tao chick

Songster
May 20, 2015
Herkimer County, NY
I've been staring at photos of pea combs. I've had all cockerels when it comes to pea comb breeds so I don't have much to compare it to. Does anyone have a photo of an 8-wk old pullet pea comb?

junebuggena

Crowing
Apr 17, 2015
Long Beach, WA
A few of my Easter Egger pullets had three row pea combs. Since they were black sexlinks (barred Rock hen and Easter Egger rooster), I knew they were pullets. The cockerels also had three rowed combs, but they started turning pink at about 6 weeks old. The pullets are about 14 weeks old now, and their combs are still very small and pale.
My camera stopped working a few months ago, so I don't have any pictures.

Top Bottom