Gender guesses? 7 weeks old.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tao chick, Dec 15, 2015.

1. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    First is pure Barnevelder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second is a Lavender Split Ameraucana.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Barnevelder looks like a cockerel with that solid black chest, and I think I can see a bit of darker red on those shoulders/wings.
    The Ameraucana looks like a pullet for now, but that may change in a few more weeks.

3. tao chick

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    Thanks for pointing out the red on the Barnevelder. It didn't show up on the original picture but I see it here now. I think you're right about that one.
    Ameraucanas take a little longer I think. I don't see three rows of comb but I can't tell. That one started feathering like a pullet but I couldn't remember if Ameraucana can be sexed by wing feathers on Day 1 or not.

4. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

The Ameraucana looks like a pullet to me. My EE boy had a huge red comb by eight- nine weeks, and started crowing around ten or eleven weeks old. At least, that's when I figured out what he was doing... didn't sound like any crow I'd ever heard! I think that there is a pretty good chance it's a girl. Barnevelder looks like a boy.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on junebuggena's post.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 on Junebuggen's post

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree

8. tao chick

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    [​IMG]
    My hope for a pullet is dwindling. I think this is three rows of peas. Am I wrong?

9. tao chick

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    I've been staring at photos of pea combs. I've had all cockerels when it comes to pea comb breeds so I don't have much to compare it to. Does anyone have a photo of an 8-wk old pullet pea comb?

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A few of my Easter Egger pullets had three row pea combs. Since they were black sexlinks (barred Rock hen and Easter Egger rooster), I knew they were pullets. The cockerels also had three rowed combs, but they started turning pink at about 6 weeks old. The pullets are about 14 weeks old now, and their combs are still very small and pale.
    My camera stopped working a few months ago, so I don't have any pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by