Gender guesses for these blue silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CALI CHICK, Apr 16, 2012.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Hello, I would love to hear some feedback on what gender you think these 4 silkies are. I have an idea based on their appearance as well as their behavior. I won't mention their names either as that might bias your vote too! [​IMG] I'm just curious what others think. They are either 7 weeks or 8 weeks old so they are still filling out.

#1 Side View....2 months old
    [​IMG]

#2 Face View.....2 months old
    [​IMG]

#3 About 7 weeks old
    [​IMG]

#4 Also 7 weeks old
    [​IMG]

I've got my suspicions about them, but would appreciate any feedback or opinions (to hopefully verify my suspicions since I already sold the two that I think are roos) [​IMG]

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Do not sell silkies until they lay or crow. I had 4 with the biggest, roundest crests, no combs that you could imagine...they all started crowing at about 16 weeks!!! I couldn't believe it. I don't trust a silkie to be what I think until they are much older!!!

3. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Yes, that's good advice. Another reason I sold the two (#3 and #4) was because I didn't like their toe spacing. So, I wouldn't have wanted them for show OR in my breeding program. My other 4 silkies all started crowing about 16 weeks of age also..........ALL at once! [​IMG] My new silkies (in the photos) behave SO different! They are SO sweet, submissive and docile unlike the roosters so I am REALLY hoping the first 2 are girls. Oops, I'm giving away my guesses!

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    My absolute sweetest and most loving silkies was a group of 4 that from the beginning I thought were all pullets. Beautiful, round crests...wonderful, docile temperments :) I loved them to death...they were amazingly sweet. Then, one by one, they all started crowing. Lovely, poofy crests, no combs and all :( They still walk up to me for a petting :) But, all roos :(

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I'd say the last two are roos.

6. Peeps4me

Peeps4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would agree that #3 and #4 are roos. They resemble one of my white Silkies that started crowing last week at the tender age of 7 weeks.

7. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA

[​IMG]WOW at 7 weeks! I had a Cornish Cross started that early, but my other silkie roos were all about 16 weeks old. Maybe I sold Shadow (#3) and Hazy-Daze (#4) just in time!

I think it's hard to distinguish between roosters and pullets when they are all roosters. But if you have a mixed group [​IMG] like I'm hoping I do, I think there is statistically a good chance that the ones that look more like roosters are roosters and the ones that look like pullets are pullets. Considering these 4 "look" and "act" different from each other, I am totally feeling like 1 and 2 are pullets. They were from the same breeding pen and hatched together. Unfortunately I could be wrong and have 4 roosters.... [​IMG] ....but I don't think so. I would really like to show #1 whose real name is Misty-Blue. #2 is BB, because she hatched last as a tiny ball of grey fluff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by