Gender Guestimates? UPDATED pics at 2mths Cochins, Reds and Wyandottes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlpineSpringsRanch, May 15, 2011.

1. AlpineSpringsRanch

AlpineSpringsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    This is my first "lot" of chicks. My husband forbade me from ordering chicks until we tried it with a "few" locally purchased chicks. Luckily a friend of mine breeds chickens as part of her business so I stopped by and bought the following 9 chicks.

For what it is worth...I wasn't sure what kind of chicks I wanted but I finally got the green light to order my "custom lot" of 25 straight run chicks (5 diff breeds) from McMurray which will be here by Tuesday (SUPER EXCITED)..

So these guys...I don't want ANY New Hampshire Red Roos...and I'm on the fence about if any of the other chicks turn out to be roos keeping one of each breed. I am hoping that I get AT LEAST one girl out of each breed I have right now...I decided I REALLY like the Cochins...and I'm on the fence about the Silver Laced Wyandottes so I may keep one roo out of each of those types just to see what they mature to.

Anyhow enough of the story ;D Here are the babies. Everybody should now be between 27 and 36d of age with no exact birth date for any of them. Have not heard anybody crow.

New Hampshire Reds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sure that guys a roo...he's not very nice either [​IMG]

Silver Laced Wyandotte
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Splash Giant Cochin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    You've got at least one New Hampshire rooster, maybe three.

I'm not real good with sexing Wyandottes (the rose comb makes it harder), but so far I'm thinking #2 is a rooster and #1 and #3 are pullets.

All of your Cochins look like pullets.

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    3 NHR cockerals, 1 Wyandotte cockerals, and its hard to tell with the Cochins because they develop so slowly, they may all be pullets.

4. AlpineSpringsRanch

Mar 20, 2011
    Update!! - NHR was 2 hens and a roo. Wyandottes look to be two hens and a roo. Cochins I still think 3 hens as guessed but one of the hens just the other day started looking like she has more of a comb than the others. I will post pics again soon!!

Not bad though out of 9 straight run chicks!

5. AlpineSpringsRanch

Mar 20, 2011
    Now approximately 55 - 64 days old.

Pretty much 100% sure on the NHR and the Wyandottes that it is 1 roo and 2 hens. NHR roo has gotten real sweet and I already have a home for him. The cochins...still not 100% sure all girls...maybe 95% sure but I am not sure about #3 (different numbers from before) exactly how slowly these guys develop in comparison to the other breeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Yep, I think you've got it right.

1 NH roo, 2 pullets
    1 SLW roo, 2 pullets
    3 Cochin pullets

Thanks for new pics! I like being able to see how close I got. Makes me more accurate at guessing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by