Gender help and breed confirmation

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Baca farm, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Baca farm

Baca farm New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    I believe A is a rooster. B I'm not sure. Am I right about A? Any guesses about B? I believe they are white cochins but A has some tan so I'm not for sure about that either. Any help appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    A
    [​IMG]
    B

2. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    How old are they? They both look like they could easily be roosters, but if they are older, then B may be a hen getting ready to lay. They are not cochins, because cochins are much puffier and have much more leg feathering

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Those are D'Uccle roosters.

Has the bird always had some tan plumage? I suppose, he could be a project color of fluke bird. But, white birds do often get yellowish/tan plumage from the sun.

4. Baca farm

Baca farm New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    ECSandCCFS I'm guessing from when the lady brought them and told me they were 4 weeks old that they are currently around 11 weeks old. I askedon't here couple of months ago if anyone knew the breed and white cochin waso the guess but they changed since that and thought I'd ask again.

RhodeRunner No when they came they were all white. They are free range and have plenty of shade and sun all day.Thanks for the breed info.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree those are D'Uccle cockerels. Cochins are also white and feather legged, but they're rounded and fluffy. Your little birds have closer, harder feathers, are more upright and have down swept wings. Plus, those stiff feathers that stick out on the back of the legs? They're called vulture hocks, a D'Uccle trait. Cochins don't have those, they have soft feathers all down the legs.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by