Gender help on 12 week olds

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
I am hoping you can tell me these are girls, but I am just not certain. They are 12 week old Buff Orp and EE. Very sweet birds. the Buff had me nervous because it developed the comb pretty good about 5-6 weeks, but it never grew or had color again. Now I see wattles that are getting some color. The EE I dont know what to look for with the comb and all. Any help would be appreciated.

64297_img_4238.jpg

64297_img_4232.jpg

I would say your EE is a pullet for sure, the other one I am not sure on but I think they are both girls.
This is my EE Roo who is 8-9 weeks. His comb is bigger than the pullets and pretty red, his feathers are also pretty curly in the back and he crowed for the first time today.
a26h5k.jpg

Orpingtons are hard to sex early. I know you think 12 weeks is not very early, but it is for Orps. I usually have to wait until they either crow or lay eggs. Generally, the crowing happens first and all doubt is gone about THAT one. But hazarding a guess, your BO could very well be a pullet. Let's hope she stays a pullet.....

Orpingtons take longer to mature than many other breeds, and they are not early layers. Don't expect eggs from her until at least 22 weeks, maybe even 26 weeks.

I see girls too
smile.png

When did you notice the wattles on your Orp? My BO is 5 weeks and I just noticed small pink "lines" at this point where the wattles should be on her today. I already have one "guaranteed" pullet that turned out to be a roo...hoping I don't have two....

Last edited:
thanks for the current thoughts of girly hood. On the Buff I noticed the comb become prominent at about 6 weeks-8 weeks but then no more growth or color- still pale at 12 weeks and noticed wattles around 11-12 weeks that were pinking up. Both are sweet girls. Did not know that BO were late layers. 22-24 weeks sounds average. When does an EE usually start to lay?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom