Gender help please? (pics)

WyanLuv

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
Iowa
Opinions wanted please on gender of these babies. Also, if anyone has ideas on what the last two might be for breed and gender. Thanks!

1. Partridge cochins-1 month
17662_1mobabies_006.jpg

17662_1mobabies_007.jpg

2. Welsummers-1 month
17662_1mobabies_029.jpg

3. Unknown breed - barred rock?
baby pic
17662_babies_009.jpg

1 month-green legs
17662_1mobabies_015.jpg

4. Unknown breed - no clue here
baby pic
17662_babies_002.jpg

1 month - black legs, has a white tip on one feather
17662_1mobabies_020.jpg

Last edited:
On the cochins, see how the hackle feathers have rounded ends? That indicates female. Since the other cochin has the same size comb, I'd say two pullets.

On the welsumers. the one on the right has a noticeably larger comb--cockerel.

The little chick is NOT a barred rock--they are black with a white spot on their heads. They may also have some white or yellow down on thier bellies. The one month green legs bird I am guessing because of the plumage as being a silver campine. I'm not overly familiar with the breed, so you need someone else to confirm this.

Mottled something--black legs so that really narrows down the choices.

both cochins are boys, my girls are 5 months old and have wattles smaller and less red combs. Hackle and saddle feathers aren't reliable until after 4 mo(in my experience)
I don't have any experience with welsummer
#3 looks like an ee(if the legs are green and has a pea comb), and I can't really see the comb but it doesn't look very pronounced or red so without a front on shot I say pullet
#4 looks like a australorp to me, I can't tell gender without a front shot, but the comb looks rather small so I will guess pullet (if bottom of feet are yellow, not pinkish white, then it may be a Jersey Giant)

eta-#3 could be a campine if the legs are blue not green and it has a single comb

Last edited:
The Cochins look like biys to me
sad.png
Pretty, but boys

The Welsummers are at that grow-out age...hard to say, they one standing tall looks like a boy, not sure about the other

BR- Speckledhen will help you on that. Does it have a dot on it's head?

EE- looks like a girl
Bottom looks like an Autralorp and it's a girl

Bummer on the Cochins
sad.png
Would like to see the Wellies again in another 3 weeks

I thought I might have two boy cochins, darn it. Do their eyes look funny to you? Seems like their eyes are huge.
But the welsummers are exactly the same in every respect. Comb size, no wattles, same feather colors where they are coming in and everything. Interesting birds.
The other two, the black one doesn't have a white dot on its head. It also has yellow on the bottom of it's feet. The comb looks to be either a pea or rose. It really doesn't have much of anything there. A couple little bitty bumps and that's it.
The white and black one has more greenish legs with a similar comb to the black one. I am guessing pullet for both of them.
I also had some babies hatch out of my own mix flock that started with poofy cheeks and are now growing out of them. I think maybe the golden laced wyandotte is the daddy. They are gold and black. I also have one little blue LF cochin that looks pretty rough. Where as all the other chickies mostly has feathers, he only has mostly wing feathers and the rest is still fuzzy down. Not sure what is going on there. He is also half the size of the other cochins. Interesting mix, that's for sure!

Here are my guesses..

1- boys
2 - pullets (could be a pair..tough to tell in pic)
3 - pullet (could be an EE)
4 - pullet (unknown breed - could be black giant - probably not barred rock since it's not barred - also not mottled..it would have more than 1 white feather tip and black commonly has a random feather tip until they mature)

Quote:
They don't get their pointed saddle feathers until they are closer to 3 months old usually, they'll have normal rounded feathers for now. The amount of red on their large combs/wattles shows they are definitely male.

Back
Top Bottom