Gender help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Little Buffs, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Little Buffs

Little Buffs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    Hi I have 4 buff Orpington chicks aged 7 weeks old. We would like your opinions on wether they are pullets or cockerels? We have an incline 2 could be but your experienced opinions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Little Buffs

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

At this age it's all about the red comb and waddles... you definitely got some boys there!

Can't tell exactly how many since the pics aren't numbered and they all look very similar.

The feathers won't develop for a short while still. They will probably have much thicker legs than the girls as well.

But NO DOUBT you are correct! [​IMG]

4. Little Buffs

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    1st picture is one chicken
    2nd picture is another chicken
    3rd and 4th picture is another chicken and 5th and 6th picture is another chicken. We infortunatley live in a residential area so will be unable to keep the boys which is a real shame [​IMG]

5. EggSighted4Life

1 is a cockerel.
    2 is a cockerel.
    3/4 is pullet.
    5/6 is showing some pink in pic 6 but can't tell if it's just excitement/temp. Still thinking pullet.

The cockerels at this young age are often my favorite between the two genders. But as they hit hormones, that usually changes. It's true that it's too bad more people can't keep roosters... BUT mine start crowing at 3:30 AM every day! And I have 1 boy who tries to flog me when my back is turned, he is on his way to freezer camp.

6. Little Buffs

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    I will try and get another picture of the last one as we were unsure as to wether that one was a pullet or cockerel. You have just said what we was thinking. Thank you very much for your reply [​IMG]

7. EggSighted4Life

Behavior is another great clue. Some boys will run around starting stand offs, while the girls USUALLY (not always) just ignore it. Leg thickness also is an indicator. Boys are often much thicker legged.

Sometimes their will be one that keeps ya guessing until they grow in a sickle feather, lay an egg, or crow. But just so as you know... Hens can crow, it just isn't very common. Also, my boys do the egg song when my ladies get going. [​IMG] Pretty fun to hear them all doing a chorus. Also, at this age you can't go by spur bumps as they all have them. The boys don't even grow their spurs in until a year or so... and some girls can get those to! In case you don't already have enough chicken fun facts floating around in your head. [​IMG]

8. Little Buffs

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    I will try and get some pictures of them all standing and see what you think if that's ok. Thank you for your facts I hoping the last one will be a girl otherwise we will only have the one girl and will obviously have to find another 1 at least.

9. EggSighted4Life

Of course.... more pics!! [​IMG]

You never know, might still some some more opinions to. [​IMG]

10. Little Buffs

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]