Gender help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RebeccaBoyd, May 24, 2019.

1. RebeccaBoyd

RebeccaBoyd Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Hello everyone. We let our stray hen that showed up at the barn a year and a half ago hatch out some baby chicks from eggs a friend gave us. They are 6 weeks old today and I have 2 that i suspect are roosters. I was hoping for some help confirming my suspicions and if anyone has any idea on breed mixes it would be great. The eggs we got were large various shades of pink to dark brown. I've never personally saw the parents but was told they were big stock chickens and that some of her hens were easter eggers.

Toothless. This one confuses me, was born a very pale yellow chick who i assumed would turn white but instead i get a mostly black chicken. I strongly suspect rooster because in sunlight i've spotted iridescent purple feathers and for 2 weeks has had a dark pinkish tint to part of his comb.

Attached Files:

2. RebeccaBoyd

RebeccaBoyd Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Hiccup. I think this one may be a hen. I love her blue and brown tones and can not wait to see what she looks like as a adult.

Attached Files:

3. RebeccaBoyd

RebeccaBoyd Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Tuffnut. My personal favorite who I fear is also a rooster. 1 rooster is ok, but sadly will have to rehome one of them if there are 2 roo's and my daughter has loved toothless since day 1 so i know who will get to stay if tuff is also a roo. Tuffs rich brown color is just gorgeous though.

Attached Files:

4. RebeccaBoyd

RebeccaBoyd Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Ruffnut. I think ruff may be a hen, and is dark brown with blue/grey mixed in. This one is taking the longest to feather out.

Attached Files:

5. RebeccaBoyd

RebeccaBoyd Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Also here is momma who my daughter named Chicken. If you haven't noticed they all have a "How to train you dragons" theme going on here. Its her favorite tv show and movies. Chicken is some type of Bantam and it has taken over a year to almost tame her and make her sort of friendly. When she first showed up at the barn you couldn't get within 20 feet of her and sadly during that time a chicken hawk attacked her resulting in scarring on the back of her head and the loss of her toes on one foot. Her foot ended up healing and she has adjusted just fine, and before the babies hatched her favorite place to roost is over top the chandeliers in the barn.

Attached Files:

6. RebeccaBoyd

RebeccaBoyd Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Any gender guesses anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: