Gender help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crusting, Oct 22, 2011.

1. crusting

crusting Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    I have two 7 week old chicks. The white one is an easter egger and the tan one is a buff orpington. A few days ago the white one was making a new sound--head up and long low sound. It got me thinking she is a he, but I'm not sure. She did it maybe 2-3 times and no odd sounds since then. The tan one was opening her mouth and sticking her head up a lot this morning, but no sound.
    Any thoughts what gender they are? I hoping they are both pullets....would be hard for the other one to have to remove one of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Hens, considering comb size.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    You have 2 pullets. [​IMG]

4. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I have a white easter egger that looked just like that until it was 15 weeks old then...........overnight its pea comb turned blood red and it started crowing. It tail stuck out just like that.

5. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Oh yes- It made weird noises when it was small too. Pre crowing.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    my guess would be white one a roo the other a hen

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I will get some good shots of both male and female today...but am thinking roo on the EE...cause of the color, size of comb and the tail also holding it like that. My girls hold their tail more flat.

Mine are two splash ameraucana...

8. crusting

crusting Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    Thank you, Dwegg! I will look forward to the pics. S/he does have some very light grey in the feathers around the neck, and two tiny reddish brown spots on the tips of the wings. not sure if that changes anything...

9. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    They are both pullets.

10. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Here are two of my EE's. They are 8 weeks old. The little hen is laying down, and doesn't have much of a comb, just a single line of bumps. The little roo has three lines of bumps in his comb, but the picture only shows two. I think you have two hens, because I only see one line of bumps in the comb, and EE roosters should have three lines. I will look, and see if I can find a straight on comb shot of one of my roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by