Gender help PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Free2BMe2798, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Free2BMe2798

Free2BMe2798 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    I have just hatched a batch of Araucana x Leghorn cross chicks 10 days ago. They all were yellow with some black spots when they hatched and are now feathering in white. My rooster has a nice pea combs and the chicks have the expected pea combs,
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    single combs, and every weird mixture in between. I had read that you can sort of tell cockerels from pullets by how fast their tail feathers appear with the girl's feathers coming in faster than the boys, but two of my fastest feathering chicks now have huge combs that are really red.

Is this a fluke because they are crosses? Or are these the boys?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The rate at which chicks grow feathers is not an accurate indicator. Comb size and reddness, and pointy hackle and saddle feathers are better indicators. I'd say that, if you're seeing red combs at only ten days old, those birds with the red combs are most likely males.

3. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    The birds with the reddest combs are roosters.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The one thing you should be able to guess is whether or not the crosses will lay blue eggs--you have like a 90% chance of the blue egg gene with the true pea combs, a lesser chance with the modified peas, and almost no chance at all with the straight combed birds.

I agree with Wyandottes, there's no real way to tell sex by tail growth. Yes, you often get slow-feathering cockerels, but it's not something you can rely on as an indicator.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    When using a true araucana in a cross, not all the chicks will have tails, another reason not to go by tail growth rate [​IMG]

6. Free2BMe2798

Free2BMe2798 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Thank you all. I did use a pure bred double tuffed Araucana rooster in this cross. I was looking for a way to sex them as early as possible as I am only interested in the female chicks and will be culling all of the cockerels.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I've done leghorn X Ameraucana crosses and a good percentage of the boys very often seem to take after the leghorn side of the family and get big red combs really early. Not all the males do, but pretty much all chicks that were that far ahead of the hatch mates turned out to be a male.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio

The one that's in the middle of the photo you posted, with the pink comb, is a cockerel for sure! You won't find a bright pink comb on a pullet that young, even if they are Leghorn crosses. I set a bunch of white eggs this year, and they were crossed with an Ameraucana, a Marans, and a RIR. It was actually pretty easy to sex them all by five weeks or so. I think if you wait a bit, it will become clearer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by