Gender help with Wyandottes. More pictures at bottom of thread!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I just picked up these four chicks, was told they are about 10 weeks old but they seem/look younger. I have two Blue Wyandotte's and two Splash BLRWyandottes. If anybody can help with age and/or gender I would be very grateful! If they look 10 weeks to you all please say so, I cannot for the life of me remember what my 12 week old girls size and such were at 8 or 10 weeks lol!

Blue Wyandotte (Gnosis #2 is her name, silent G so pronounced Nosis, it's the greek word for Knowlage [​IMG] )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Splash Wyandotte (Butternut #1)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue Wyandotte (Gnosis #1, no idea what age and was a wee bit concerned about pink wattles coming in, but tail looks very pulletish)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Butternut #2

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010

2. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think they could be 8-10 weeks old. They all look like girls to me, but maybe someone who's more of an expert will have a better idea!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    10-12 weeks looks good more on the younger side though-gender? Id say mostly pullets only one triggered a roo look to me and that wasnt that strong of a trigger :)

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    It was the one with pinkish wattles huh? It gave me a scare lol, but the feathers are so pulletish I can't help but feel hopeful [​IMG] thanks guys, I was thinking they are def younger then 10 weeks, more around 8 weeks. They are off heat though which was all I cared about. These poor girls have been through an ordeal!! A bunch of their sisters got killed and eaten by a bear who broke into the coop this past weekend appearently. These four were the only survivors.. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Hmmmmm. I'd split the difference and say 11 weeks. [​IMG]

I'm guessing a flock of several birds probably doesn't get the same attention as a flock of two, so the comparison to your two might be off due to that factor. I'm REALLY bad with sexing (hence the Buff Brahma roo the Not My Favorite Feed Store said was "Oh, yes, a hen!" crowing in my run now) so I don't want to guess on that one pullet. But they do look awfully girlish to me.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL! Hence the sig

"accidental EE roo"

[​IMG] [​IMG] But hey any guess is good by me. I am pretty sure they are all girls, but was thrown by the size difference. Like you say though it is hard using just my two 12 week olds as comparison. All four are very friendly, and each has unique markings so I can tell apart even the same breeds/colors. They cleaned out 1 quart feeder when I brought them home, probably stressed from the car ride there was a TON of traffic!! They are eating slower now though, they know the food isn't going anywhere and they don't have to compete for it. All have pooped, drank, eaten, and slept soundly through the night. I am keeping them in my bedroom and moving them to the living room so I can put the cat in my room and let my Older girls outside. Pretty soon I will be like you with the Littles, Middles, and Oldies! LOL [​IMG]

They are wonderful though, all 4 are SO friendly and jump out of the brooder to say HELLO! None of them are scared of my dog, which surprises me due to their bear encounter.

The only boyish thing I saw was pink wattles on Gnosis #1, but her tail is SO female I can't help but be hopeful. It's very full, and held low. I have no experience with Wyandotte roosters, but my EE cockerel's tail was narrow and upright, it was the first sign of rooness to me. This girl's tail is very hen'ish. And I don't see any pink to her comb. It's funny though, Gnosis #2 has a black comb, while #1 has orange. What's THAT about?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  7. KelliV

KelliV In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Pasco County, FL
    Hey morgan! I'd say they are 7-9 weeks. (I'm kind of using the size of your waterer for comparison). The look like they're right in the middle of my two age groups. (One group hatched 3/14, the other hatched 4/19)

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you! Here are some more pictures if anybody else can help with any gender guesses. What age can you tell for SURE with Wyandottes?? And can you tell easier with different colors/patterns then others? Thanks for any information!

Blue #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue #2
    [​IMG]

Splash #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Splash #2 (LOOK at that tail!! There is NOTHING else rooish about this girl, but that tail has me scared..!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  9. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Songster

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Looks like all pullets to me.

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I sure hope so! I want to be as honest as possible when I rehome 2 of them. I will have to snap a few good pictures in 2 weeks or so and hopefully they will STAY pullets haha. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by