1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shaun1says, Dec 8, 2015.

1. shaun1says

shaun1says New Egg

Dec 8, 2015
    Hello,

First time poster! I recently started my first flock and got a blackish one (pictured) as a hen but the more I look at it the more I think it could be a rooster. Any help is much appreciated!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Picture is not showing. Pointy hackle, saddle and sickle feathers plus early comb development would indicate that you have a cockerel.

3. shaun1says

shaun1says New Egg

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Ok hopefully this picture works now! I think it's a male but he seems to be halfway between my defined hens and my defined roosters...

4. shaun1says

shaun1says New Egg

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG] one more pic to help see. Thanks for your speedy response sourland!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

How old is this bird?

6. shaun1says

shaun1says New Egg

Dec 8, 2015
    I couldn't get an exact answer from the guy who had them but around 8 months

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pullet then. Even a slow maturing male would have visible saddle feathers by 8 months.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When I enlarge the picture, I think that I see pointy hackle and saddle feathers starting to appear. [​IMG] I'm guessing that the bird is somewhat less than 8 months old, and may very well be a cockerel.

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Yeah, I am inclined to agree with sourland

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This was my thought, also. I was expecting age to be stated as 3-4ish months, that what it appears to me. Can we get a better profile pic so we can see the saddle feather area?

11. shaun1says

shaun1says New Egg

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Thank you all for your responses! Here is another picture to check out. The saddle feathers do not seem to point upwards like my other roosters but instead almost curve around the butt. I'm not sure if this means anything conclusive though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by