Gender help!

shaun1says

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2015
Hello,

First time poster! I recently started my first flock and got a blackish one (pictured) as a hen but the more I look at it the more I think it could be a rooster. Any help is much appreciated!

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome to BYC. Picture is not showing. Pointy hackle, saddle and sickle feathers plus early comb development would indicate that you have a cockerel.

shaun1says

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2015

Ok hopefully this picture works now! I think it's a male but he seems to be halfway between my defined hens and my defined roosters...

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
When I enlarge the picture, I think that I see pointy hackle and saddle feathers starting to appear.
old.gif
I'm guessing that the bird is somewhat less than 8 months old, and may very well be a cockerel.

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
When I enlarge the picture, I think that I see pointy hackle and saddle feathers starting to appear.
old.gif
I'm guessing that the bird is somewhat less than 8 months old, and may very well be a cockerel.
This was my thought, also. I was expecting age to be stated as 3-4ish months, that what it appears to me. Can we get a better profile pic so we can see the saddle feather area?

shaun1says

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2015

Thank you all for your responses! Here is another picture to check out. The saddle feathers do not seem to point upwards like my other roosters but instead almost curve around the butt. I'm not sure if this means anything conclusive though

Top Bottom