1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ashmbell, Jun 11, 2016.

1. ashmbell

ashmbell Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Hello! I am a new chicken owner. I got all of my chicks from my local farm store. Supposedly, I have 2 Dominiques, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Golden Sex Link and 2 Ameracaunas. The Dominiques, BR, and Golden Sex Link are all about 6 weeks old... The 2 Ameracaunas are about 4 weeks old.

I am having a heck of a time distinguishing between my BR and Dominiques. They all look very similar! The only difference I can tell is one of them has a more rose type comb while the other 2 have more of a single comb... Which is odd because I got what I thought was 2 Dominiques and 1 BR but the Dominiques are supposed to have more of a rose comb and only one of my chickens has that... Ugh.

I'm hoping none of them are boys!! [​IMG] Any thoughts are welcomed!

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. ashmbell

ashmbell Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Looks like some of my pics didn't post... Here are some more. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Only one picture is showing up and it isn't a very good one :/. Also your "Ameraucanas" are most likely Easter Eggers since you can really only buy them from breeders (feed store and hatcheries often sell them as Ameraucanas or Araucanas).

4. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They are to young to sex for sure but I think they look like pullets for now. Could you get some pictures looking directly down at the comb? Also could you label them (so I don't get confused [​IMG]).

5. ashmbell

ashmbell Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    I will see if I have better pics. And I'll try to label them... If I can tell them apart! Haha ;)

These 2 pics are chicken 1 (they have yet to be named!) with the rose comb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 2 pics are of chicken 2, looks single comb to me (I could only tell chicken 2 and 3 apart because one has a little more black on the tip of their beak):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 2 pics are of chicken 3, also looks single comb to me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope these pics help! Thanks!!

6. ashmbell

ashmbell Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Also, here's a pic of my 2 Ameracauna chicks... That's what they told me they were anyway... Is there a difference in an Easter Egger and an Ameracauna? :/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry the pic of these ones aren't great!

7. ladynewtochicks

ladynewtochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Amerucanas are a pure breed that lays a blue egg, Easter eggers are cross breed of a blue egg laying parent and a brown egg laying parent and will usually lay a green egg. They are commonly sold under a misspelled Amerucana name so they "aren't really lying".... They are still young but look like pullets for now to me, watch for patchy red coloring in the wing area(cockerel)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Everyone looks female for now. The older birds I'm positive on, the Easter eggers are a bit young to say pullet for sure. I'd post on them again in 3ish weeks to double check.

Dominiques are supposed to have rose combs. Rocks are supposed to have straight combs. So, either you got two Rocks, or you got a Dominique with a recessive straight comb.

9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Agree with ladynewtochicks , difference Ameraucana vs EE on the nose although there will be some that disagree. You can look it up online, just type if Ameraucana vs Araucana vs Easter Egger several sites will pop up with explanation.

Also agree with donrae , although I'm guessing the EEs to be pullets, can't see the comb too well. Watch the combs, single pea or triple (Cockerel).

10. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    It does look like they gave you two BRs and one Dominique.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by